ford OBD reader

dombanks

Anyone near leicester got a ford OBD reader (or a scope to check the lambda sensor)

? we went for a trip to melton to buy a porkpie and on the way home the KA started running like it was only on 3 cylinders. sounds a bit like a tug boat from the back sort of putputputputputputput.....

I had a look at the plugs and they seem ok to me maybe a little rich as the electrode looks a bit black but not like in an image of one from the internet. its not obvious that one cylinder is not firing when you listen to it but if you disconnect the lead for cylinder 4 nothing changes so im wondering f its the coil pack or lead? take a different lead and it struggles to start.

How old is it? It should have the MIL light on (and possibly even flashing) for a misfire. If it's a wasted spark (4 tower coil) then more likely to be lead/ plug than coil since #1 sounds OK [assuming it's got coolant and oil of course]

05 plate, fluids ok, fuel is from sainsburys same as the bimmer and that's ok. yes the light was on for a bit solid and or flashing. I was about 5 miles from home and the car was drivable and, although rough, idled without stalling so I just got home.

just popped to halfrauds to take the chance its the leads but they don't do them any more only by order. they had everything else on the shelf! thought it might be the coil pack or leads. easy enough to replace both.

Give the injector connectors a good wiggle too, but don't disconnect them or you'll get codes for that and won't know which codes came first.

Nearly always coil pack old plugs can make coils go down I am a RAC man around Leicester replaced loads

• Like 1

Cheers.

Plugs are new <4k ago but can't remember if I did the leads at the same time. They don't look too old. All easy and cheap enough to replace tho. Just got to find a place that sells it all tm.

You can get a Bluetooth OBD reader from Anazon for£10-15 or so, add a copy of Torque if you have Android and you're good to go.

Thanks guys

New coil pack and leads and it's better starts better and idles smooth. (More than can be said for the westy) The engine light is still on but I'm guessing that going to need some sort of reset. It still has the odd bout of hesitation if low revs high gear is used so I'll probably get an reader. I have a connector for the BMW just need some software if it's the same plug

The MIL light will go out once the code heals and you've had 3 successful trips without fault- shouldn't need to be reset.

Yeah funnily enough I was saying to the Mrs we might need to get one to turn the light out as we were getting in the car. Her reply was what light!

It's still missing here and there. Mostly when you put load on in a high gear. But seems to be going OK

I was going to suggest it was most likely to be coil pack but you seem to have fixed that now. Mike is correct the MIL should go out after 3 drive cycles but code will be stored for 40 drive cycles. I can bring a diagnostic scanner to the next Derby and Notts meeting if you want to check and clear the memory?