Oil change Redtop Engine

Ali and Gail

Hi Folks

We have just bought our first Westy and its going to have an oil change as not sure when last done. Does anyone know which short(Stubby) oil filters will fit as its already got one and I cant quite see what it says on the existing one.

Its the early Redtop engine if that makes a difference.

Also approximately how many liters of brake fluid do the take ish and what spec is best?

Regards

Ali and Gail

Hi Folks

We have just bought our first Westy and its going to have an oil change as not sure when last done. Does anyone know which short(Stubby) oil filters will fit as its already got one and I cant quite see what it says on the existing one.

Its the early Redtop engine if that makes a difference.

Also approximately how many liters of brake fluid do the take ish and what spec is best?

Regards

Ali and Gail

I can only help you in one respect, do not, and i mean DO NOT put brake fluid in the engine it will make your engine  :barf:  - that is all ;) . 

• Like 1

I have the short stubby one as well,   wait till I get home.

Any quality branded Dot4 is fine for our bathtubs, such as Castrol Response, Motul, ATE blue etc.

Just changing the brake fluid needs a litre.   Suck out the old stuff from the reservoir and refill with new fluid, then go round the car and bleed through till the new stuff comes out.    You should start at the rear nearside wheel cylinder and run up to 1/2 a litre through until you see the clean fluid. Then do the offside rear followed by the fronts.    You'll find the last three wheel cylinders will use a lot less new fluid than the first one you did. 

Don't forget to top up the reservoir regularly or you will end up with air in the system and  will be a big problem and many more litres of brake fluid on your shopping list.

• Like 1

Thanks for your help folks, gonna hit the web now

it's possible I don't have fouling issues on my XE compared to some.....but the filters I know fit are the Halfords one I have on at the moment (HOF201) or a Mann Filter (W712/22)

Screw on dimension M18 x 1.5mm thread.

• Like 1

The shortest M18 x 1.5 filter I could find was the Mahle OC242 (at 73.5mm high) - Opie Oils usually best place for Mahle filters

For the brake fluid - I use Comma DOT 5.1 as I have 4 pot front brakes (5.1 is compatible with DOT 4) - but DOT 4 would be ok for most road use (note - don't confuse DOT 5.1 with DOT 5 - DOT 5 is SILICONE and NOT compatible with anything other than silicone !!)  ;) .

edited: - the short "stubby" oil filter used by the likes of SBD is a Bosch P3141 (or equivalent here http://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/convert/BOSCH/P3141) - note that this oil filter is 3/4 UNF thread and if fitted will have had an M18 to 3/4 UNF adapter fitted (so you need to be sure if you have an M18 or 3/4 UNF thread)

• Like 1

The shortest M18 x 1.5 filter I could find was the Mahle OC242 (at 73.5mm high) - Opie Oils usually best place for Mahle filters

For the brake fluid - I use Comma DOT 5.1 as I have 4 pot front brakes (5.1 is compatible with DOT 4) - but DOT 4 would be ok for most road use (note - don't confuse DOT 5.1 with DOT 5 - DOT 5 is SILICONE and NOT compatible with anything other than silicone !!)  ;) .

edited: - the short "stubby" oil filter used by the likes of SBD is a Bosch P3141 (or equivalent here http://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/convert/BOSCH/P3141) - note that this oil filter is 3/4 UNF thread and if fitted will have had an M18 to 3/4 UNF adapter fitted (so you need to be sure if you have an M18 or 3/4 UNF thread)

And i Think Colin, what you have pointed out there, regarding Stubby filter and the 3/4 UNF is where I came unstuck. Being as though QED are literally only 15 mins down the road, I'd took all my QED build history in with me and purchased a UFI 23 118 00 filter for my next oil change. It managed to stay on for 400 miles until it blew off! I did feel that with all my QED history in front of them and my "projected Rookie faith" in them that they could of double checked which filter they sold me.........but hey I've obviously got to take some of the responsibility, and luckily it wasn't to my cost!

All summed up in my thread at the time "Oil Filter Just came off"

So...er Ali....Gail, basically don't make that mistake.  :(  :d

• Like 1

Fitted a Unipart GFE210 to mine only last night. Along with 5l of Millers finest

• Like 1

oops, just read you were asking about amount of brake fluid. Ive no idea as mine's a b***h to bleed and I usually end up using a couple of litres

• Like 1