Beneath the boot box

Andy - a15cro

Trying to establish the mechanical side of my car as it doesn't have much in the way of build documentation and the previous owners are not on here.

Just a quick pic of the diff and if anyone can identify it that would be a great start.

Im guessing the sensor on the right is the speedo sender?

Think a clean up will be next winters task.

IMG_1480_zpshxd6mf8u.jpg

Ford 7" diff, typically from a Sierra originally, it has the bolt in Lobro CV joints. As Tom said, yes, that's the speedo sender and yes, it really does get that close to the bolt heads, typically around 2mm +/-1mm, hence the adjustment, to fine tune it.too much road crud can effect readings, though they're usually pretty good.

Thanks Dave, useful info. My Aprilia has the same method of speed reading minus the fine adjustment.

Could also be the 7 1/2 " diff if there is a spacer on the top mounting then as Dave says it is the 7" if not then 7 1/2" .

Looks to have a stud through the top plus the 7" spacer and an extra packing washer, which is why I went with the 7" option! ;)

Sometimes there will still be the original Ford tag on one of the diff bolts and it has the code for the type and ratio etc - details here 

http://www.super7thheaven.co.uk/components/sierra_rear_differential/

I was amazed at how much muck and rust had accumulated on mine in this area (despite hardly ever going out in the wet) - I ended up taking off the wishbones and shocks and cleaning up the whole area (fortunately I have detachable arches which really makes access so much easier) - the chassis had some rust to the tubes where they meet the bulkhead (especially the lower ones) but nothing that a good wire brush and de-ruster couldn't fix. I also came to the conclusion powder coating is not all it's cracked up to be - especially around welds or where the surface has been scratched or damaged.....

• Like 1

Looks to have a stud through the top plus the 7" spacer and an extra packing washer, which is why I went with the 7" option! ;)

The advantage of looking at it on a PC and not on a mobile.................plus it was too early in the morning and the coffee had not been consumed :getmecoat:

• Like 1