Mega S2000 ride height issue / suspension setup?

JamesR

Afternoon all,

I've managed to get the new car out a few times now since Christmas and am loving driving it.  The issue I have is that every time I've taken it out I've managed to ground it on the open road.  This has just been from normal undulations in the road as opposed to massive potholes or speed bumps.

Full disclosure ..... I am by no means a qualified mechanic so please bear with me!

I found an old post that gave indications of ride height and where to measure from so I've checked this out.  I'm currently running at approx 130mm at the front and 100mm at the rear which sounds like it could be particularly low?  I will also mostly be driving 2 up.

I know I have adjustable suspension, but don't have the first clue if / how to adjust it, and to what height.  

Can anybody recommend a company relatively local to the Swindon area that could help set this up for me as I don't want to just tinker with it and mess with the setup.

Thanks in advance for any help!

James

Wow. Are you sure you're measuring the correct points?

Check this link out for where to measure from, here

At the front, it's from the underside of the chassis rail that runs parallel with the steering rack to the ground. The back is a little less obvious, now Westfields have lowered floors! Don't measure from the underside of the lowered floor, measure from the bottom of the chassis rail that runs across the back of the car, behind the lowered floor. - So at the very base of the rear bulkhead.

If that's where your measurements are from, then apologies for teaching you to suck eggs, and don't drive the car until the geo has been sorted out properly!

Westfields should have somewhere between 15 to around 25 mm rake front to back. ie the rear height should be 15 to 35mm greater than the front! (The actual figure will very depending how the car is set up - they're very tailorable to give different feels.) 

There is a factory set up sheet for the Mega S2000, though as above, this is something of a baseline, and different owners will tweak the settings to their own taste.

The baseline heights for instance are 140mm front, 165mm rear. High enough for road use (and IVA).

Here's  a copy of the factory set up sheet for the Honda car

Car Suspension Set-Up Sheet Honda S2000 widetrack.docx

Ideally, the suspension needs to be set up with the simulated "load" of the driver on board. Though if you weigh as little as some club members, it won't make so much difference. On the other hand if like some of us, you're on the heavier side, it can be quite a factor. Likewise, if yo're basically driving it on the road, and mainly two up, you may want to think about having it set up with the weight of driver and passenger on board. (Though be very careful discussing that with your significant other!!!)

Just spotted that's Ash's old car - the ride heights you quote will be measured in the wrong places I'm sure!

It might be lower than you need possibly, but the rake won't be backwards!

Hey Tom,

I might take you up on that if you're around on Saturday and it stays dry.  Thanks for the offer mate.  I'll drop you a message closer to the time so we can check what the weather's doing.

Cheers for the extra info Dave - you're right that I was measuring the rear height to the lowered floor as opposed to the chassis rail.  I've attached a couple of piccies of where I've measured:

Rear clearance is around 145mm:

Clearance%20Rear_zps7dqpvx3l.jpg

Front clearance is around 125mm:

Clearance%20Front_zps5ju6vhzs.jpg

Also just noticed as you'll see in the pic that my radiator is weeping a little bit, so it was worth going back for a 2nd measure!

James

P.S.  Dave, I have more of a significant weight that should probably be taken into consideration   :d

Just give me a shout, I'm around all weekend, ill be working on my car.  Ill sort out you weeping hose as well if you want

P.S.  Dave, I have more of a significant weight that should probably be taken into consideration   :d

So do I! I can't recall just what mine is set too, may even be the "book" figures on the set up sheet. Mine hasn't grounded, (except once when two up) even on the dodgy roads round here!

I've got a funny feeling that car was set up at procomp, I may be wrong.

But if it was, its where I had mine done and yours is properly similar.

Mine was set up with one up & it's been fine, even on the crap roads around here. But as soon as I've got a passenger it's different story & I have to be very cautious.

BlinK set my geo up last summer and, after looking at the ground-down gearbox protection hoop, we set the ride heights 157 front, 180 rear.

Thats a little higher than the normally quoted default figures but I don't recall ever grounding out since.

If your chassis hoop is grounding on the open road, then your car's telling you it's too low...!

You'll probably find it's the seat bolts which is catching on the ground

I've got a funny feeling that car was set up at procomp, I may be wrong.

But if it was, its where I had mine done and yours is properly similar.

Mine was set up with one up & it's been fine, even on the crap roads around here. But as soon as I've got a passenger it's different story & I have to be very cautious.

hi james

Andy is correct the car was setup with procomp by the master himself Ivan and on speaking to matt last week Ivan is sadly no longer with us .

I'm very surprised it grounding out it could be those seat bolts which I have to admit I never got around to cutting off  :getmecoat: :getmecoat:

hi james

Andy is correct the car was setup with procomp by the master himself Ivan and on speaking to matt last week Ivan is sadly no longer with us .

I'm very surprised it grounding out it could be those seat bolts which I have to admit I never got around to cutting off :getmecoat: :getmecoat:

More sad news!!!! Top bloke that new is stuff!!!