Ford ST… Fiesta or Focus…

John K

Here is it, the totally unanticipated, unwanted and unprofessional, side by side review of both cars.

Focus

• Harsher low speed ride than the Fiesta. Nothing we would find unpleasant and it’s not bad, just more harsh.
  • Good strong engine, wants to rev and it does go
  • But torque steer is there, and if the wheels find some broken tarmac or loose surface when you are giving it the moo in 2nd… There is quite a bit of scrabbling going on
  • If you test drive one, make sure you deactivate the ESP. On a few roundabout circles to investigate the lift off behaviour, my initial thoughts where “this isn’t fun, lots of tugging and push going on”. So we pressed the button and went back. “Oh Hello… So you DO want to play a bit do you…”
  • As a compromise mid sized car that can do rugrats to school and make you grin it is superb
  • Good, good, GOOD car. Only reason to buy a VAG product is because you like the badge and or status

Fiesta

• Low speed ride a bit jiggly, but once you get it up on the dampers, its nice.
  • Lovely keen engine, seriously strong at 2,500 up. I think because I was respecting a self-enforced 5,900 rpm redline, when you went 1st, 2nd then 3rd there was a very slight pause as the engine breathed in before going for it again (actually it felt nice). I’m fairly sure if you wrung it out to just below 6,500 there wouldn’t be the pause at the low end in the next gear
  • Handling was great, ESP off from mile number 1. Best praise I can give it is, it’s not really sure if it’s a front or rear drive. It is that keen to play on the limit it just doesn’t matter
  • As a second or third motor to make the trip to Tesco fun, totally unwhackable… A bit small for the everyday only car
  • EPIC CAR..!

Note I’ve not mentioned interiors or radios or gloveboxes… If you want to drive, they don’t matter.

I made the sales guy laugh (he was a good guy BTW, realised I could drive and just let me crack on) by saying the Fiesta - and apologies in advance for the non-PC comment…

…was like having Kiera Knightley wriggling around on your knee asking for a good spanking, because SHE wanted one…

No surprise I will get the Fiesta..!

I am looking at a 64 or 14 plate in Red (ST2), both less than 4k on the clock for about £13.5k, will probably put a deposit down in a few days

And but I have to get this in. Sorry but the difference between a DERV and Petrol Focus ST, please not even on the same planet for fun (see the spank me comment)…

• Like 1

a guy on the z4-forum (and I would say on fiesta/ford ones too) call beedub is modifying a fiesta. Fitting an LSD,some turbo work, and upgrade to brakes/suspension. he's really good at it and rates the car highly in standard spec.... recons 300bhp is easily achievable.

only negative he mentions is the fact they seem to be really popular with the tealeaf's at the mo. the interior is supposed to be better than the focus.

Can vouch for the Fiesta ST as my son has a 2013 Blue ST3 with the Mountune kit fitted by Ford.

Really great car to drive.

• Like 1

Can vouch for the Fiesta ST as my son has a 2013 Blue ST3 with the Mountune kit fitted by Ford.

Really great car to drive.

I'm interested in the MP215 kit, mainly cos it sounds good at the back. Which one does he have..?

A little concerned that the MP235 might overwhelm the chassis a bit - turn it into a scrabbly Focus wannabe.

He has the MP215 kit which as far as I can tell has a different airbox set up and a new map......oh and a badge for the rear of the car which he really likes! (he is only 20 years old!)

Its available from Mountune direct i think and can be fitted at most Ford dealers so that the warranty is still good.

BTW he went for blue colour as its only available on the ST where as the red is available on all the Fiesta's.

Next step is the Mountune cat back system oh and a WRC style rear spoiler if he can find one thats good quality and easy to fit.

Not tempted to go for the diesel then John?

:bangshead:

:bangshead:

But you love diesels! They're sporty! :p

I have proof too. Your Westfield has a crossflow engine, renown for using more oil than petrol. :d

• Like 1

... Your Westfield has a crossflow engine, renown for using more oil than petrol. :d

No, no just no... Xflows do not USE oil, they simply drop it (totally un-combusted) onto the floor of the garage...

John, you need to try an Audi S3, totally unflappable in all conditions.  Bit more expensive grant you but lots of toys available and the best interior of any Hatch ----- or maybe you like the Fiesta buzz box whatever.

John, you need to try an Audi S3, totally unflappable in all conditions.  Bit more expensive grant you but lots of toys available and the best interior of any Hatch ----- or maybe you like the Fiesta buzz box whatever.

Almost to the minute one of my oldest mates has suggested the same thing...

But there is something so 'blue collar' and honest about the ST that makes me want it. It's the under privileged working class kid made good.

And I know what you mean about Audi cabins, but I just want something to drive the wheels off - and if the S3 is a playful as the ST I will be truly gobsmacked...

And I really do not want to sound like a total "male chicken" but ST money I can drop without needing to think too much. Good S3 money is a bit more serious.

I wouldn't say the S3 is Playful at all, just unflappable, fast transport through rain wind and snow due to the Quattro 4wd. You'll never spin a tyre with it.   DSG makes it even better.

If you're set your mind on the Fiesta, yes I agree it's more fun  and light.  The New Fast Ford if you like.

• Like 1

Everything you say is totally sensible. But after a few recent events, I'm not feeling sensible.

And I know a DSG is 'better' in almost every way, but I am an old and stubborn sod who believes 'real men stir a box'.

Same goes for Quattro, if the going under foot is a bit dodgy I just slow down. I don't want ultimate speed, I want grins and giggles..!

• Like 1

Sensible- that word went out of my vocabulary 20 years ago, must be Mid Life Crisis for you now, I'm still in it :)    That's what the Westfield is for.

• Like 1

Deposit paid... Waiting to hear when I can get it.

Want to try to do the deal before "Silly Season" for the new regs starts on the 1st March.

Not giving any details of what, when or where to prevent Herr Gruppenfurter from contacting the dealer and changing my order to a diesel...