New member - Thetford, Norfolk. Info on buying a Westfield

snowy892

Welcome to the club.

Thank you. Would love to meet up sometime. It seems that there any many club members around Norfolk/Suffolk.

Get a chance to meet up with Martin if you can, He's a great bloke and will help you out with anything.

Engine choices are quite varied but the main ones seem to be:

Older - Ford Pinto & crossflows - older and heavier engine but some people swear by them - they are obviously very drivable - you'll get a bargain on this front. 

Less old - Vauxhall 2.0 XE (CXE? - I'm no expert) (Red top, silver top etc) - a very popular choice for seemingly a long time. Lots of them are tuned to around 200BHP (which is a LOT for what they weigh) - you'll get a nicely tuned immaculate car with this engine for your money. There is one  for a little over 6k on here with 220BHP!

Ford Zetec/Duratec - much more modern and seems to have replaced the Vauxhall engine as the choice in that bracket. - They seem to come in around 160Bhp and you see some up towards 200 but I think this costs quite a lot to do? Duratec is the more tunable version (again, I am trying to remember what I've read in the past)

V8's - Rover V8 - anything from 3.5 litres standard producing around 150Bhp to mad 5 litre beasts. I've got a 4.3 with 270Bhp (with the same torque) and it's mad. It's a heavy engine for the car and spoils it's handling in my opinion - but the trade off is worth it for the power and most importantly, torque/drivability

Bike engines - Hayabusa 1400 or Fireblade 900/1000. These can come turbocharged. Mad light weight power but by all accounts tiring to drive and quite high maintenance. But then you get blistering acceleration with paddle ****fs! :-)

Then there are lots of oddities. My old one was a 1600 Twincam from an MR2, tuned by "Rage" to make around 155Bhp - you see a few around. Superb to drive. Revvy and light.

Engine choice is important if coming from a bike or a fast car. I reckon you need around 200Bhp to get the thrills you got from a bike. I found my 1600 amazing fun for a year, but then yearned for more overtaking grunt.

If you are buying on power - make sure you get a fairly recent dyno printout :-)