New member - Thetford, Norfolk. Info on buying a Westfield

snowy892

Hi Everyone,

Very excited about joining the WSCC.

I have now started out on my adventure ‘Buying a Westfield’

However, I need your help!

The car will be for road use only, i’m not sure what to look for! I’ve seen abbreviations like SEIW, it’s very confusing.

When I look at a car, what are the most important bits?

My budget will be 8-10K (if I sell my bike!!) if it worth spending more i.e. 2K to get a better model or is my original amount considered a healthy budget.

Thank you in advanced.

Snowy

:ww:

8-10K will get you a very nice Wessie, maybe 7,8 years old.

The SEIW is fairly simple, They are nearly all SE and the I is indipendant rear suspension rather than live axle and the W is for wide which is the body around the cockpit which since 2000 they have mostly been.

Dont think that you need 200 BHP, anything over 150/160 still goes like stink so really the choice is yours when it comes to screens, roofs and trim.

• Like 1

I would agree with Stu, you will have plenty of choice with your stated budget but you will need to narrow down some of the other parts. For example, if you want road use then most people go for full windscreen, doors and a roof option together with a heater. Thats my preferred option at the moment. However, as an ex-biker like Stu and myself you may be happy to go Stu's way with shell type race seats, no heater, no carpets and an aeroscreen. At least then you can continue to use your helmet and bike clothing!

Ideally you need to get to your nearest area meeting to talk to owners and look/try as many styles as possible. Alternatively wait until Stoneleigh when you can see hundreds of different westfields and quite a few will be for sale  :)

• Like 2

Welcome, and great to finally have somebody in my neck of the woods.  :yes:

• Like 1

:ww:  take your time and read through this forum, plenty motors out there in that price bracket...

Welcome!!

Another option - Save your pennies up and build one!

• Like 1

Something to also bear in mind, is that, unless you buy a stinker (and it's easy not to - you'll know a keen owner the moment you talk to them, and it's hard to hide anyting mechanical on such an easy access car) - you can very easily sell your car on for what you paid for it, should you decide you want a different flavour - i.e. lightweight, or a V8, or a bike engined car. From my experience so far I've noticed that Westies seem to have a fundamental value that they hold well.

This is with the exception of building one yourself - then you get hit with depreciation fo course, but people build them for the enjoyment.

The point is, you can have a dabble with practically no risk.

So far I've had a 1600 twincam SE, I'm now in a SEIW V8. If and when I sell her, I'll try a bike engined car, probably...

£8k will buy you a very decent Westfield.   Try and narrow down your choice of engine to either V8,  Bike engine or normal 1.6/1.8/2.0 4pot car engine.   When you sell the bike the extra 2k. will come in handy to change the bits you don't like or just add something to make it your own.  Best place to buy is on our very own Classified forum of course.

Snetterton beckons you I guess.

Snetterton beckons you I guess.

...and me too!  Not far away near Fakenham so happy to meet up for a chat.

(ex Yorkshire AO - C20XE SEiW still in Leeds  :( )

Oh and  :ww:

• Like 1

Cheers guys, thank you for all your comments. I was slightly nervous putting up my forum as I don't know anything about these cars apart from driving one on an experience day and deciding very quickly 'I need one in my life'!!

Its pleasing to hear that my budget will (hopefully) get my a decent model.

I like the sound of full screen and heater.

I know this maybe a daft question but I've got to ask anyway, what engine size is best? I currently drive a 2.0L. Also what make ? or is it personal preference!!

Finally, what is /are throttle bodies?

...and me too!  Not far away near Fakenham so happy to meet up for a chat.

(ex Yorkshire AO - C20XE SEiW still in Leeds  :( )

Oh and  :ww:

Thank you. Would love to meet up sometime. It seems that there any many club members around Norfolk/Suffolk.

Welcome, and great to finally have somebody in my neck of the woods.  :yes:

what part of Suffolk are you from?

what part of Suffolk are you from?

Not far from Brandon. I'm still building mine though and will be for a while :cry:

• Like 1

I know this maybe a daft question but I've got to ask anyway, what engine size is best? I currently drive a 2.0L. Also what make ? or is it personal preference!!

Finally, what is /are throttle bodies?

When it comes to a four cylinder engine the 2.0L is the common choice but some prefer the free reving smaller engine, its down to choice and as they say theres no replacement for displacement.(ask the V8 boys) :)

As with bikes, the make is down to the individual.

Throttle boddies are an aftermarket addition where the original single throttle conection is removed and individual ones are fitted. (four on a four cylinder.)its basically where the air and fuel are mixed.

Bike engines are like this and it gets the best from the engine as they make more power, rev easier and sound better.

• Like 1