latest snake oil

dombanks

A customer I mot for has a Volvo with a similar system fitted and has had it for a few years , he swears by it and says it is a lot cheaper to run than before .

I don't actually get why it improves things ? Anyone car to explain please in nice simple terms  :d

What the topic title says. Snake oil. Remember those magnet things that people fitted round fuel pipes? Given the marketing and tax advantages that increased economy and lower emissions give, how come car companies aren't fitting them as standard if they actually worked.

Please note the phrase in he ad of "up to", which clearly includes the number "nought". For instance, I can drink "up to" 20 pints of lager a night - but it's highly unlikely and wouldn't do my system much good.

I can drink "up to" 20 pints of lager a night.

All hail the mighty bear monster :)

......For instance, I can drink "up to" 20 pints of lager a night......

Anyone taking bets on the true figure? :d

What worried me is that it increased mpg by about 30% and still took 8 months to pay for itself.  That's about 3 grand.  I'm now selling my version for 2 grand.  I've managed to reduce the price by using synthetic unicorn horn which is now in limited supply. :d

A friend was looking at putting a similar device on a 4x4.  It used electrolysis to convert water to hydrogen and oxygen that then went into the engine.  The car hardly needed any petrol at all.  I looked at loads of stuff on the internet, and the conclusion was a Yorkshire "you don't get ought for nought".

In the 1970s there was a product called 'Mota-Nu' and it consisted of a few metallic spheres (balls, if you like) that you dropped into your petrol tank. It (allegedly) deposited metallic films on all the worn parts and revitalised the engine. 

Of course it did....... :oops:

Again, in the seventies, there was a product called Vapormid. It was a pyramid shape container with a small amount of water in it connected by a tube to the inlet manifold and it was claimed that it gave increased MPG. The "power of the pyramid" enfused the water and enhanced the petrol. Tests showed that it did actually work! But when looked at closely, the only thing that it changed was the way the owner drove. Because he had fitted the device, he was interested in economy and so drove the car in a more economical way.

So if you want to save petrol, just drive like your granny!

So technically, if it changes the way you drive and this saves you money, even if it's for psychological reasons, does that mean it actually works? Most 'eco' features on modern cars work in the same way. The Emission Analytics tests should be relatively immune to this, but are dependent on traffic conditions.

You can achieve the same result with a small wooden block under the accelerator pedal by the way :)

I can see another electrickery gadget added to your portfolio.

Especially if it saves you 25% fuel costs.

You could call it "Fuel Stop"

• Like 1

If you add hydrogen (a simple fuel which burns with oxygen (in the air)) but don't alter the amount of oxygen (air) or petrol/diesel going into the engine for a given load, isn't that going to make the engine run rich? Maybe with a modern ecu, and oxygen sensor in the exhaust the ecu is capable of adjusting the amount of petrol/diesel being injected into the engine, so it could save petrol/diesel potentially, against which you've got the cost of the device which produces the hydrogen. And how long does the device work?

It certainly can't work on older engines running on carburetor(s) can it?

And if hydrogen burns much cooler, then does it create as much pressure (power)? If someone wants to go down this sort of route, then they could fit an LPG conversion, that way you don't need any petrol/diesel. But you won't get the same amount of power out of the engine, and you have the cost of the conversion to way against the saving in fuel costs.

edited to add: 

I was interested in the comments by DerekJ. I can well believe what he says. I get the same effect in my tintop by watching the onboard computer, with average fuel consumption for the journey displayed! I just can't help myself, seeing how high I can get the mpg figure to go. And I don't need to pay for anything to be added to the car, just use what the manufacturer has already installed for my information and entertainment!