Mount Snowdon.

Stu Faulkner

The hardest way to 'walk' up Snowdon rather than 'scramble' is on the Watkin Path, very recommendable.

Crib Goch, a knife edge arete and very recommendable.

It would be irresponsible of me not to add that you need to be well equipped, fit, experienced and have a head for heights.

Totally 100% agree with this.

Thanks Mark,

Just for reference my Son is 29 this year. 

Is there a route that is known to be hard/challenging?

If you're looking for more of a challenge, but still with relative safety then it's worth looking at some of the other mountains. In Snowdonia Tryfan is my favourite and not spoilt by the 1000's of tourists that you'll find each day on the Summit of Snowdon. The North face of Tryfan facing the A5 is a grade 1 scramble and I would not reccomend this without experience however the south face is a good walk with an easier scramble along the ridge towards the summit and the standing stones of Adam and Eve.

• Like 2

I must have misread the " plan to go from the bottom" part. The suggested alternatives are already part of the way up ;)

Stu

If you are seriously thinking of going up the Watkin Path it is easy, as in 'not technical' to walk it, but as it starts at only 60 metres above sea level, it is a good physical challenge. With legs as long as yours it should be a doddle!

Start it from the car park/toilet block at Nantgwynant on the A498, just above Beddgelert. Cross over the road and walk up through the woods, zig zag past the waterfalls, pass the derelict miners houses and make your way up the constructed path until you get to a flat section (about 2-3 hours). You now have about half an hour of near vertical scree before the path joins the Rhydd Ddu path at a monolith and a right turn takes you straight to the summit of Snowdon.

It is a lot quieter than some of the other routes and is very pretty, providing you choose a fair weather day of course. I can email you a map of whichever route you finally decide on if you like?

Let us know how you get on, it will be a great adventure I am sure and a great thing for dads and lads to do.

Cheers

Julie

• Like 1

If 

Stu

you are seriously thinking of going up the Watkin Path it is easy, as in 'not technical' to walk it, but as it starts at only 60 metres above sea level, it is a good physical challenge. With legs as long as yours it should be a doddle!

Start it from the car park/toilet block at Nantgwynant on the A498, just above Beddgelert. Cross over the road and walk up through the woods, zig zag past the waterfalls, pass the derelict miners houses and make your way up the constructed path until you get to a flat section (about 2-3 hours). You now have about half an hour of near vertical scree before the path joins the Rhydd Ddu path at a monolith and a right turn takes you straight to the summit of Snowdon.

That sounds pretty good, If you could send a map that would be great.

thanks Julie.

• Like 1

Right, we are sorted. I have emailed a map to you but it has not come out very good so I have also posted a coloured one. I have waterproofed it because it does sometimes rain up there!!! 

You know me by now, Julie's world of pictures, so here is a little taste of Snowdownia for you. The first one is an example of a marker post on the Watkin path and that is the summit in the background. The second one is the aforementioned Crib Goch route, the summit is in the background just to the right of my head and the knife edge arete is right behind me - no turning back from here!

The Watkin Path

Watkin%20Sept%202015%20016_zpslr16lbct.j

Crib Goch

Crib%20Goch%202013%20007_zpsplztnwvo.jpg

Enjoy

• Like 2

Rode up the llanberis and back down on Oct 1st last year. Was just so unbelievably hot. People at the summit with tops off and baking. 2 1/2hrs up and 20 mins back down again.

2625lc3.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Thrustyjust,

20 minutes to cycle 5 miles down a rocky, bumpy Llanberis path, wow, that must be a thrill. Going up is no faster than walking though, interestingly.

I guess the time restrictions have lifted in October, I think in the summer months you are only allowed to cycled early morning and late evening.

Thanks for posting, and a picture to prove it too, good stuff.

Julie

I plan to do that one myself once I've finished doing that work stuff probably June time with sons and any one else hanging on. may ask for the map myself.

Enjoy

Bob from not so sunny Fawley.

Rode up the llanberis and back down on Oct 1st last year. Was just so unbelievably hot. People at the summit with tops off and baking. 2 1/2hrs up and 20 mins back down again.

2625lc3.jpg

The wheels looks tired !    :d  :d  :d

Hi Julie, yes we can ride from Oct 1st , which was an amazing day. Was a bit of walking and riding up, but rode about 98% down. Walked from the top to the end of the newly laid stone area as a bit tricky and consideration to walkers etc. Brakes were burning on the way down. As for up, the tarmac from the start to the bridleway is always a killer. Views were incredible.

Piccie of my mate Marky , struggling up

2wcl3tj.jpg

• 2 months later...

Stu,

This week is a good time to go to Snowdownia. The mountain forecast is excellent. No excuses, chuck a sicky and don't post it on facebook, you'll be fine.

Julie

• Like 1

I work for myself and I'm hard to convince that I'm ill.