Mount Snowdon.

Stu Faulkner

Later this year Ian planning a walk up Snowdon with my son.

Has anyone done this and more to the point what sort of route as I plan to go from the bottom.

The llanberris (spelling?) path is pretty easy although it's a long route. Maybe ride the train back down?

I've done it about 5 times now and always climb on the miners track and return on the pyg track. They both start and finish from the same car park but you need to get there early. It'll take around 9 hours to walk there and back, allowing for rest and food stops.

We did it in 1983 with our two children: daughter aged nine and son aged six. They both made it without mishap - daughter needed a bit of Kendal Mint Cake at one point to top up her blood sugar though. We used the Llanberis path parallel to the railway - very safe and cannot lose the way. Lovely warm day with fabulous views from the top. The following year we did Scafell Pike and a few Scottish mountain trails in later years. The last one with them was Slioch in Wester Ross in about 1988. Avoid wet and windy days - they can kill.

My daughter has always loved wild scenery even into adulthood and usually holidays in the Peaks or the Dales. We did a few mountainSon climbed Mt Kinabulu but nothing else since. 

We went to Snowdon when I was a kid but the cloud was 2 foot off the ground and the train wasn't running :down: - main memory of that weekend though was the pneumatic windscreen wipers on our 100e Anglia running out of puff half way up Llanberis Pass and the beefburger sandwiches we cooked in a lay-by :)

Many years later I walked up Ben Nevis with my son (12 at the time) .... still snow on the top in summer and a glorious blue sky - fantastic memories for both of us :)

On Ben Nevis, it wasn't the climb up that hurt but coming down - thumping down on your heels and calf muscles really hurt ....

I've done it about 5 times now and always climb on the miners track and return on the pyg track. They both start and finish from the same car park but you need to get there early. It'll take around 9 hours to walk there and back, allowing for rest and food stops.

Any idea where the car park is?

We went to Snowdon when I was a kid but the cloud was 2 foot off the ground and the train wasn't running :down: - main memory of that weekend though was the pneumatic windscreen wipers on our 100e Anglia running out of puff half way up Llanberis Pass and the beefburger sandwiches we cooked in a lay-by :)

Many years later I walked up Ben Nevis with my son (12 at the time) .... still snow on the top in summer and a glorious blue sky - fantastic memories for both of us :)

On Ben Nevis, it wasn't the climb up that hurt but coming down - thumping down on your heels and calf muscles really hurt ....

We did Ben Nevis before the children arrived - 1973 I think. Low cloud, rain, thick mist, and (as you said) snow lying near the top. Couldn't see a damned thing but loved every moment anyway! Might try again - if I can get the Zimmer frame in the boot.  :oops:

You're right about coming down hurting; you're tired and it beats the daylights out of your toes. My Good Lady's big toe nails went black afterwards.

The miners track and pyg track go from Pen y Pas, which is the top of the valley up from Llanberis. Both good routes to the top and the car park is high up, so saves you some climbing. It is small though, so get there early.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=264500&y=355500&z=120&sv=pen+y+pas&st=3&tl=Map+of+Pen-y-Pass,+Gwynedd&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf

Snowdon was a lucky man, people always mounting him, nice work if you can get it.

...did I miss something?

The way I feel right now, I couldn't mount Swindon.

• Like 1

Any idea where the car park is?

A4086 Pen Y Pass opposite the Youth Hostel, LL55 4NY

It's an easy route for inexperienced walkers and one of my favourites as tou get a different view on the way up to the way down again

A4086 Pen Y Pass opposite the Youth Hostel, LL55 4NY

It's an easy route for inexperienced walkers and one of my favourites as tou get a different view on the way up to the way down again

Thanks Mark,

Just for reference my Son is 29 this year. 

Is there a route that is known to be hard/challenging?

Crib Goch, a knife edge arete and very recommendable.

It would be irresponsible of me not to add that you need to be well equipped, fit, experienced and have a head for heights.

• Like 1