Harness options

Quinten

I currently have a (very) old 4 point harness which I would like to replace with something that can be adjusted a little bit better. The current harness uses the following mounts (pictures stolen of the internets)

4-Point-Nylon-Black-F1-Sport-Racing-Safe

but the harness I've seen uses

mlYqBins31LKdnuc00yBPQg.jpg

for the mounts. The top ones will fit no problem with eye-bolts instead of normal bolts, but the bottom ones may not fit due to the seats? Does anyone have any advice to offer here?

You need to find Westfield specific harnesses, theses have eye bolt clips on the top belt & bolt in belts at the bottom.

Andy

You need to find Westfield specific harnesses, theses have eye bolt clips on the top belt & bolt in belts at the bottom.

Andy

That's not what I'd hoped to hear, but I guess that's the only sensible answer...

Thanks, but I'll have to save a few more pennies before I can afford those prices, especially as I would need a pair :(

Keep looking on the forum, I recently changed my belts so that I race the car, the old belts being out of date but fully servicable, so older belts do come up for sale.

• Like 1

Yeah, I do keep a keen eye on the for sale section, but as I'd like black ones with pull up lap straps and aircraft buckle, they do not come up too often...

I have a pair of Willans four point harness with clip on top and bolt in bottom fixings, they are blue and in good condition although slightly grubby, out of date so no good for the track but perfectly ok for road use. Only changed them in my car as I wanted black belts to match the interior.   Looking for £30 plus post .

i think the ones your looking for quinten  are playskool harnesses with the pull up belts and the aircraft buckle car builder solutions ones arent badly priced but dont have the aircraft buckle

I have a pair of Willans four point harness with clip on top and bolt in bottom fixings, they are blue and in good condition although slightly grubby, out of date so no good for the track but perfectly ok for road use. Only changed them in my car as I wanted black belts to match the interior.   Looking for £30 plus post .

Like you, I need them in black :)

i think the ones your looking for quinten  are playskool harnesses with the pull up belts and the aircraft buckle car builder solutions ones arent badly priced but dont have the aircraft buckle

Yeah, the Playskool ones are of course a good shout with many people using them...  but no stock and not enough budget to get them anyway.

I'll make do another year with what I have and who knows what Stoneleigh has to offer...

• 2 weeks later...

Leave it for the moment. I'm not suggesting you need to pay top end prices, but at the same time, skimping on harness cost isn't a great idea either!

Quite apart from the fact that you may need them to save your life, it's also surprising how the comfort level varies from design to design. Also the quality of the fittings can be quite variable, with some really cheap harnesses having nasty edges too them that can quickly damage the interior of the car/seats.

Oh, I would not go for an unknown HK/CN originated harness, just like I would not put ditchfinders on any of my cars. Have just put the old harness back into the car after winter upgrades, and there's no way I'm going to remove the seats again this side of the summer ;)

It's not just the "quality" of the belts, it's the supplier too!

Westfields are tricky old Devils to get just the right belt/harness for, not that it's the factory's fault, just that we as owners will insist on keeping building them to our own spec!!

Depending on the cockpit width and the style of seat for instance, you can find that either pull-up or pull-down lap belts work best. If pull-up, then you need to get the length of the belt from buckle to mounting bolt just right, or the adjusters will be in the wrong place.

Having a supplier that knows the car and typical seat combinations helps, even better is having one that will work with you and swap any bits that aren't quite right.

• 4 weeks later...

Update!

Was browsing Ebay one night last week and someone had listed some (little) used Westfield 4-point harness with a buy it now price I could not resist...

2016-03-25+09_48_26.jpg

Now they've arrived I see they are still pull down straps at the lower side, so I'm wondering if they could be converted to pull up instead?

Fitted :yes:

2016-03-25+16_26_31.jpg

Could not fit the tall eye-bolt underneath the rollbar, but to my surprise I had a couple of smaller eye-bolts in the garage somehow, so used those instead.

2016-03-25+16_26_50.jpg

2016-03-25+16_26_57.jpg

Well chuffed for the money!