Peak District - The Hidden Roads Sun 28th February

Julie Hall - WSCC AO Representative

The route has been set and the plan is do the top loop onto the high ground above near Ladybower that lands us in Calver cafe for lunch. Then it is the bottom loop on Longstone Edge and Monsal Head which will drop us back at the Ice Cream Farm in Matlock for a brew before finishing.

Mmm, an ice cream farm, just what we need when it is forecast 5 degrees all day. We're tiny, we're tooney, we're all a little looney......they serve hot soup and tea too though.

Hi Julie, 

Nakkib and myself should be along for this one, our boys have gone to cub/scout camp for the weekend and the westy is back in one piece after minor alterations so we need a shakedown run  :d

• Like 1

Great news Marcus, it will be good to catch up with you both, wrap up warm it's freezing out there.

Thanks for a great run guys, washed the car yesterday and managed to get it totally covered in cow muck by the meeting point at 10:30 am this morning !  Some great roads Julie that I did not know existed around the Peak District  :t-up:

2_zpszaehfbly.jpg

• Like 1

I love surprises and I was surprised when Marcus did a late posting to say they were coming, then when we got there Bioman (Richard and Liz) was there too, lovely. We also had Russ and Martyn and Sue, cracking turnout for February, well done everyone and thank you.

The Wheatsheaf

DSC07332_zpsazh3mo2r.jpg

After lots of breakfast next to the real fire we were lured out by the blazing sunshine. Had to laugh at Russ though, as I was explaining the route I got the puppy dog eyes as he asked, 'but is there any cake along the way?'  Only one answer to that question, 'Yes' there is always cake on my runs out. 

We took the big roads out to Ladybower before turning up a small road to the North Lees Estate. Up, over and round with wide open views all the way and very little traffic. We stopped for a photo and I think Martyn had cheeky little pee while no-one was looking :p .

DSC07334_zpsgfd4mmdh.jpg

Richard and Liz had just popped out for a quick visit and came as far as Ringinglow with us before turning back. We circuited round back down to Calver to the cafe for lunch where a Robin Hood was parked up. We had a quick chat before heading for cake. Red Velvet cake was the favourite, they would have been better off just putting the full cake on the table and giving us a spoon each, I mentioned it to the lady but she wasn't buying it.

Marcus and Nakkib, and Russ had to head off from here, I reckon they only came for the cake :d . That left Martyn/Sue and us to do the lower leg of the trip. We stopped on Longstone Edge for a quick photo before heading for Monsal Head.

DSC07336_zpsba5rn28f.jpg

2 photo's actually

DSC07337_zpsqtiel0rb.jpg

We paused for the view over the Monsal Head viaduct before doing the fun bit. I told you it was a first gear corner!!! You keep the revs up high as you approach so your engine doesn't die and you think 'I can do it in second gear'. No blooming chance, it's vertical and it goes back on itself in a hairpin fashion. Get in first gear, it's a bit slippy too, I wiggled but I think Martyn found a bag full of snakes. He was snaking about for ages, and the smell of burning rubber, what a stink :d 

After the excitement we picked up the Tideswell road and headed for the Ice Cream Farm in Matlock to re-live our journey.

Matlock Meadows Ice Cream Farm

DSC07340_zpsqdpgaycc.jpg

Don't tell me the Peak District is busy on a Sunday, these roads were empty, I guess it is because you have to make your own entertainment up there. There are no Visitor Centres or shops, just raw countryside. I will probably eat those words next Sunday when everyone decides to take their mum out for a day in the countryside.

Yes it's mother's day next Sunday but we will still be out and about, come and join us if you can.

P.S brilliant pictures Marcus, thank Nakkib for me

• Like 2

You had fantastic weather for it this weekend if a tad chilly. We were up but not in a Westy unfortunately, however it is coming up in 8 weeks!

Luke.

• Like 1

OMG I have just fainted. Christmas you got this filming jobby and it is March before we have seen any footage. I'm going to die and go to heaven, please excuse me Mr V.

:d  :d  :d  :d

Oh, and thank you, thank you, thank you.

Here are some of the roads, maybe more to follow!

I know that one very well, from my many days long past climbing at Stanage. 

Always took that route when travelling down from Manchester, even when driving a minibus full of young D of E Award participants.

• Like 1

Brilliant!!! I have subscribed to you, Martyn, on Youtube and just watched us going down the Snake Pass in the snow, well more like sky-ti bits than snow, but brill footage. Mmm, again, I like it.

Luke - 8 weeks eh, just in time for summer.

Dave - if you have knowledge of any more of these lovely places don't hold back, I constantly search for new roads.