Should a Car Dealership care about cars..?

John K

I was extremely disappointed with my recent interactions with a main Ford dealer.

When I called them to arrange test drives I couldn’t have made it more clear that I was a Petrol head (emphasis on the word Petrol) and I had money to spend and I wanted an ST something and pretty much wanted it now.

As it had been a bloomin cold night and I was worried about road conditions I drove to the dealer on the test route I had in mind (the B4632) to check it out. And it was a mess and the fact there was really varied sunlight / shadows meant road conditions were not only bad, but utterly unpredictable.

Even the Mundane on full winter Dunlops was struggling in some places.

So when I arrived at the garage I said, “There is no point in a test drive, roads are too bad, lets just talk money and buying options and I will take them for a taz later”

I got the reply “Oh don’t worry, take it on the bypass, that’s perfectly OK” – so take a Focus ST, which it is obvious I am buying to hoon around corners in, for a run on the bypass…

This was not looking good but I wandered over to the Focus for a look see. As we walk over I comment “how amazed I was that the DERV was only 6kg heavier than the petrol so the 60/40 weight distribution would effectively be the same”, he looked at me and “you really know your cars, I hate cars”

And then we get to the car which had Goodyear Eagle boots on it. Full on summer tyres on a mega torquey car in winter with extremely dubious road conditions.

I went out and came back 2 miles later, what was the point. It accelerated and it stopped, that about all I could figure out.

Didn’t even bother starting the engine on the Fiesta…

I know I was expecting too much, but I was REALLY looking forward to testing a few cars and cheering myself up by buying one.

And the dealership experience really upset me, they didn’t care if they were selling cars, bananas or hair extensions, they were just items…

So I went home, phoned Grizzlee up and shouted at him about the whole experience for about an hour. And he wouldn’t stop laughing, which really didn’t help. The more he laughed, the angrier I got which made him laugh more.

Note to all – he is a total git…

• Like 2

So when I arrived at the garage I said, “There is no point in a test drive, roads are too bad”

They probably assumed you weren't a real petrolhead after that comment :p:laugh::t-up:

Seriously though, I agree, it's really annoying trying to buy something from someone who knows and cares very little about the product / service they are trying to sell... So, I tend to find somewhere that does care.

is it the problem that the see cars everyday and its just another day at the office to them. you dont come across many people these days that enjoy their jobs. i personally do enjoy my job and could talk a glass eye to sleep about machining and tool making and anything mechanical. i know a few car salesmen and non of them like cars all university students who carnt get jobs in there chosen feilds so end up doing things they dont either like or enjoy

My daughter had a rubbish experience, she popped in to the local Ford dealership one Saturday afternoon just to look at the Fiesta, she sent me a message to say the guy wouldn't let her leave ! Wanted her to sign for a new Fiesta without even taking it for a test drive etc, think he saw a soft touch. I ended up calling the dealer and getting her 'released'. Needless to say she never went back ..

BMW Mini were totally different, they let her have a Cooper S for the weekend, despite her age, there was no hard sell or lock-ins, totally different experience. 

A lot are just salesmen and doesn't really matter what the product is - all that matters is closing the deal.  I've only ever bought 2 new cars and I got them both from brokers.  No pressure, no BS, no 'oh I'll have to ask my boss if I can give you that price' nonsense - and usually big savings.   

Another grump was over the hagling BS as Stuart mentions.

This dealer does not participate in the Ford Direct scheme so the GORGEOUS fully loaded tangerine Focus ST3 that Grizzlee found in his local garage wouldn't be available to me.

I said to the sales man, so you would prefer to sell your own stock of cars? "Yes" was the reply.

"So even if I don't want to own a white car, I've figured out I could cover that white Fiesta ST2 in enough blue stickers not to notice it, but you would need to make it worth my while to buy it, because I actually dont want it" was my offer.

He was prepared to drop it from 13,495 to 13,000... 

So the best he could offer a guy willing to pay for a car with a debit card right then - and a car he didn't actually want - was a £495 discount.

I guess they don't actually want to sell it...

When looking for a Fiesta for the O/H we went to the local Ford dealer in Milton Keynes. Enquiry was for an ex demo as a friend had a good deal on one. 

We spent 4 (long) hours with the 'new car' salesman who's main interest was for us to buy on credit, despite insisting we were going to pay cash. They earn extra from credit deals.

Ended up at the main dealers in Rotherham. They were excellent. They had a month old, top spec. Fiesta, fully loaded for £5K below list price. Had to wait a couple of months for it to be 3 months old but it was well worth the wait with 200 miles on the clock.

Whilst there, I asked about the upcoming Focus RS. With that I was taken to see another salesman who enthused over everything Ford performance. They couldn't have been more helpful and friendly. A really good experience and the O/H loves the car. (Thankfully) :)

Another grump was over the hagling BS as Stuart mentions.

This dealer does not participate in the Ford Direct scheme so the GORGEOUS fully loaded tangerine Focus ST3 that Grizzlee found in his local garage wouldn't be available to me.

I said to the sales man, so you would prefer to sell your own stock of cars? "Yes" was the reply.

"So even if I don't want to own a white car, I've figured out I could cover that white Fiesta ST2 in enough blue stickers not to notice it, but you would need to make it worth my while to buy it, because I actually dont want it" was my offer.

He was prepared to drop it from 13,495 to 13,000... 

So the best he could offer a guy willing to pay for a car with a debit card right then - and a car he didn't actually want - was a £495 discount.

I guess they don't actually want to sell it...

A Fiesta ST2 for 13K and you want to pay less??? What did I miss?

A Fiesta ST2 for 13K and you want to pay less??? What did I miss?

Interestingly their web site still has it at £13,995, so the £13,495 sticker price was already a drop.

Effectively its £1k down in total - not bad.

I was expecting more interest in persuading me to take it.

Look I've already made it clear I've been rejected in love and I was just wanting attention..!

He has got a Mountune Fiesta ST2  in Ford BLUE (yes) coming in March time. I've asked for first refusal on that.

• Like 1

Look I've already made it clear I've been rejected in love and I was just wanting attention..!

If that's your only problem get a dog. They're far more faithful and it won't care how ugly or dumb you might be :)

• Like 2

If that's your only problem get a dog. They're far more faithful and it won't care how ugly or dumb you might be :)

Guilty of both m'lud...

• Like 1

Happy, happy, happy....

Went on the Ford UK website, did a "dealers approved to sell the RS" search and phoned Hartwell Ford near Oxford.

Asked to speak to a salesman who was enthusiastic about cars.

Ended up talking to a TOTAL petrol head who even knew the difference between the two types of torque vectoring.

And they have a Fiesta ST2 in blue sat on the lot. Week after next going for a play.

Faith in car dealers is restored..!  :t-up:

• Like 1

I've never bought a car (new or old) off someone who was not enthusiastic or knowledge about their wares.

I went to the local bmw dealership to test drive a 3 series,the sales boy didn't know much about the cars as he was a phone sales tech expert,got talking on the drive and he summed it up by saying selling cars is no different than selling phones,   !!!! he had no intrest in the job ,