Can the words "Diesel" and "Sport" ever be used together..?

John K

Was the sierra cosworth a sports car?

That engine was not too far from a modern diesel in terms of revs and power delivery.

I drive an X type diesel sport.

It really is a contradiction in terms. 18" wheels and a boot lip spoiler do not make a diesel sporty.

I'm inclined to agree with John, for the pure recipe of a sports car it needs to run on petrol.

• Like 1

i have an ex wife 

she is worse than my current wife

i have 2 jobs one is good 

the other is not

i drive a Saab diesel sport for my daily drive

i also drive a Westfield

yin and yang John....

you need to have bad to appreciate the good more.....

• Like 1

I think diesel and sporty can be used together, perhaps a diesel "sports car" is not something that should exist, but a Focus ST petrol is not a sports car either.

Sports Car "sports car (sportscar) is a small, usually two seater, two door automobile designed for spirited performance and nimble handling."

A Sporty car could and probably would mean differently thinks to different people and probably depends upon your requirements and what cars you have available to you, I drive a diesel 5 door hatch my wife a 2 seater convertible (which could be described as a sports car) both have similar power outputs, both turbos, hers is lighter, but which is the sportier to drive is actually not such an easy question to answer. If I were to say my wife always puts my car in to eco pro mode because other wise its too lively could be a hint.

If I did not have the Westfield I may desire a different daily driver, before converting to diesel I had Hondas and Alfas I can say that I do miss their free revving engines, I suspect I would miss the torque much more than the free revving engine though in every day driving and I find that driving my rear drive 5 door hatch can be very rewarding on the correct roads and I think sporty, sometimes sporty driving is covering ground quickly, effortlessly, safely and enjoying it. This is actually what I enjoy about the Westfield, unless I'm driving on the track or overtaking I don't rev it to the max I just try to make good progress keeping a steady pace.  

Diesels have only developed due to the Climate change b*****k*. Before, they were seen for truck & van engines. People who had a diesel car were strange, like leather elbowed teachers, or those who could nick diesel from their truck and tractors. Normal people wanted a car they could start without a cloud of blue smoke.

So every manufacturer needed to develop new engines that ran without knocking you fillings out, but to do that they had to spend billions on such things as Dual mass flywheels, oil filled mountings or electronic ones.

They developed so fast they became better and the final piece fell into place when they got tax advantages.

I have driven them for hundreds of thousands of miles and they are the ideal lazy mans car, stick it in top wind up the turbo and they fly, on a motorways, they are refined now but they are still not nice to drive if you are enthusiastic at all. People love the torque but hate the costs of repairs as they are biblically expensive when they go wrong.

But they are perfect for our stupid limits, bad roads and tax regime.

A true petrol head wants the thrill of revs, to feel you are working something to get the best out of it not just sitting pressing one pedal.

The sport moniker is just advertising spin. My X type jag estate had the sport pack, better seats , worse ride, but it was still a soulless engine that did what it should. A v6 petrol version would have been perfect, I had one on loan when the diesel broke down, but it would have crippled the company with the fuel consumption.

Now the tree huggers have been shown the errors of their ways and instead of saving the planet they have helped to kill millions due to the cancer causing particulates, we are going back to developing petrol again. Who cannot be excited by a three cylinder rev hungry engine that can kick out 250 bhp and this will get better as cities around the world ban diesel cars.

But this is all academic as in a few years time we will argue about electric motors and hydrogen, in the same way steam lorry drivers did years ago against diesels

• Like 3

What the hell am I missing..???

And nothing bigger than an A4 / 3 Series can be sporty. Medium to larger cars are brutally effective, but sporty, not sure...

So is a BMW M5, Audi RS6 estate not sporty then? They're bigger than 3 series.

I have a 530d I wouldn't describe it as sporty but it's defiantly fun. Yesterday I took a friend out in it and went around a couple of roundabouts sideways with smoke pouring from the back. I had a huge smile on my face he was totally shocked a large luxury car would do that. In face he drives a Mazda MX5 and thought from the passenger side was more fun and quicker. January in Frace I chased a couple of older 911's at 150mph+ also fun. But then I can settle into a cruise at 100 mph doing 2000rpm (8 speed) what more could you want?

I'll never have a petrol car again. My last two BMW's have been remapped and go through the Rev range freely.

What the hell am I missing..???

And nothing bigger than an A4 / 3 Series can be sporty. Medium to larger cars are brutally effective, but sporty, not sure...

So is a BMW M5, Audi RS6 estate not sporty then? They're bigger than 3 series.

I have a 530d I wouldn't describe it as sporty but it's defiantly fun. Yesterday I took a friend out in it and went around a couple of roundabouts sideways with smoke pouring from the back. I had a huge smile on my face he was totally shocked a large luxury car would do that. In face he drives a Mazda MX5 and thought from the passenger side was more fun and quicker. January in France I chased a couple of older 911's at 150mph+ also fun. But then I can settle into a cruise at 100 mph doing 2000rpm (8 speed) what more could you want?

I'll never have a petrol car again. My last two BMW's have been remapped and go through the Rev range freely.

So is a BMW M5, Audi RS6 estate not sporty then? 

Well we are getting to the nugget of the thread, different folk take sporty to mean different things.

I don't think either of those cars are sporty.

Don't get me wrong I would happily swap my wife for either of them (please, I really would swap her, actually I'd swap her for a diesel Astra... Please anybody..? Please...) and both of those cars are on my "clutching at my privates in joy" list. But they are not sporty in my eyes.

They are ridiculously competent ways to use engineering and computers to utterly crush a road into submission. But to me that's not sporty.

As for the hooning the 530 about - good man..! Nothing better than upsetting folks preconceptions as to how a typical ........ should be driven.

I do the same, exiting a roundabout in a full 4 wheel drift with a good turn of oppo in play but in a wee wee coloured 10 year old Ford Mundane does discombobulate folk a bit.

I just sold a 530d mapped to 285bhp and 450lb of Torque it was the estate E61 absolutely hilarious peoples faces having been spanked from standing starts with the torque   :cry:   

• Like 1

I just sold a 530d mapped to 285bhp and 450lb of Torque it was the estate E61 absolutely hilarious peoples faces having been spanked from standing starts with the torque   :cry:   

With that much pull, you weren't actually moving away, you were spinning the earth under you to get to where you needed to be..!

I just sold a 530d mapped to 285bhp and 450lb of Torque it was the estate E61 absolutely hilarious peoples faces having been spanked from standing starts with the torque :cry:

I quite fancy an estate. Mines the F10 mapped to 300bhp 650nm.

So if an M5 ect isn't sporty, what is?

I know this is off topic... but!...   Well i'm not convinced we should listen to all the emissions BS or the rest of the scaremongering, spin which comes out of governments or car manufacturers for there own ends..    New threats, new technology = money & power..    CO2 and unburned hydrocarbons  was bad so the car manufactures increased combustion temperatures and created more NOx.   Time and time again the targets change and we end up buying the new technology for a few years later for it to be evil and get taxed like hell for it. So we buy new..   If I remember correctly only 20% of the total pollution from a car occurs is in use, the rest is in the manufacture. Surely it there for would be better environmentally to use cars for longer.  We are encouraged to buy the new car on environmental grounds.           Alternative fuel cars,  great!  

ELECTRIC..Heavy batteries, enviromentally nasty both in the manufacture and disposel.. and then electric generated by??(mostly burning stuff!)   and massive losses and inefficiencies in electricity distribution.   Hybrid are in my view the worst of both as they have all the disadvantages.

Hydrogen...well generally you have to crack this out of water using electric..

All your doing is moving the source off emissions and buying another 10-20 years before its realized that bad and you move it again.

There are the small lightweight under 500kg carbon fiber cars which are being looked at by lots of manufactures as they are environmental! use hardly any fuel take up no space, etc...BUT what the hell do you do with then at end of life!...at least a traditional car you can melt it down and make a new one. or turn it into a Westfield.

RANT over..                      for now...

Diesel well the use of the word Diesel and sports car... entirely down to how you define "Sport" and then "sports car"...    If sport is a competition and therefore a sports car is truly a competition car then there are plenty of competition diesels.   If you want to call a car a sports car but with the absence of any sport then that's up to you.   After all its just a marketing word.   If you prefer using low gears and higher revs to produce motive torque at the wheels compared to higher gears and lower engine revs to create torque at the wheels then that's entirely personal preference.