Newbie from the West Midlands

mrsntw

Hello Everyone  :)

I just thought that I would introduce myself to the forum as I am planning on purchasing a Westfield at some point in the near future and I wanted to gain an insight into ownership before doing so.

My name is Simon and I'm 26 years old, I am also a complete Ford fanatic as my recent car history would suggest, having owned a duratec-powered Fiesta ST, an Ecoboost-powered Fiesta ST and a highly tuned MK2 Focus RS.  My instagram is @mrsntw if anyone would like to have a browse.

I have had it in mind to make the shift to a kit-car after having a go in a Sigma-powered car about a year ago, as I also love getting stuck in and really wanted something that I could use as a learning experience, it seemed only logical. (It is definitely my intent to build the car as I find the thought of that just as much fun as ownership)

Naturally, during my research I started to think about ecoboost-powered cars and what work would be involved in doing a conversion.  So you can probably imagine my glee when I turned up at Autosport NEC on the 17th January to be met with a Westfield Sport 250, my jaw hit the floor and my girlfriend tells me that my eyes actually popped out of my head  :laugh: - so it is my current plan (always subject to change based on new information and advise from you folks) to own one of these ecoboost-powered cars in the near future.  The prospect of which I find really exciting.

Anyway, I look forward to speaking with you all as I no doubt have much to learn and cannot wait to get started!

Simon

• Like 1

Welcome and a good choice for a first Westie!

yes, excellent choice, do you fancy building one or buying one complete?

Where are you located in West Mids? I am in Redditch although I just have a lowly Madza based westfield.

Welcome and a good choice for a first Westie!

Thanks very much!

yes, excellent choice, do you fancy building one or buying one complete?

I really want to have a go at building it, just need an appropriate garage and I'll be well away!

Where are you located in West Mids? I am in Redditch although I just have a lowly Madza based westfield.

I'm In Stourport on Severn, so not far away from you really.

:ww: Simon, sounds like you are going to have fun!

If you want to come and talk Westfields then you will find the Black Country Area meeting at the Dudley Arms, Himley on the A449, first Sunday of the month from about 7.30pm. When the weathers better there will be a number of cars to look at too!

Martyn

:ww: Simon, sounds like you are going to have fun!

If you want to come and talk Westfields then you will find the Black Country Area meeting at the Dudley Arms, Himley on the A449, first Sunday of the month from about 7.30pm. When the weathers better there will be a number of cars to look at too!

Martyn

That sounds likes a cracking idea, I'll definitely come along!  :yes:

Great, look forward to meeting you in a couple of weeks then!

BTW we were having a good discussion about the ecoboost at the Warwickshire area meeting last week!

Great, look forward to meeting you in a couple of weeks then!

BTW we were having a good discussion about the ecoboost at the Warwickshire area meeting last week!

It does seem to be a hot topic at the moment, a lot of debate between the 1.6 and 2.0. 

Weight seems to be a big advantage for the 1.6, not really a problem with power to weight ratio because you're looking at roughly 500bhp/tonne with the 2.0 (I doubt it would be disappointing!).  I was thinking more along the lines of handling characteristics, although the nice bloke at the Westfield stand didn't seem to think it had any noticeable negative effects over the 1.6. I'd be keen to see a comparison between the Sport 250 and some of the 1.6 builds that I can see members on here building!

Welcome to the club, hope to see you at the local meet in a couple of weeks time.

I'm not sure of the weight of the different engines, but I don't think the S2000 engine with standard gearbox and required ancillaries is particularly light but that does not seem to be an issue.

I believe building based upon a standard factory supported set-up will be more straight forward than going down a slightly bespoke route, unless of course you have the necessary engineering background and knowledge.  

A lot of people argue that the Sigma engine makes a very nimble car compared to some of the heavier engines and that any more than 200bhp is too much for a seven. It is all down to personal taste and I'm sure the same will be true for the 1.6 and 2.0 ecoboost.

Welcome to the club, hope to see you at the local meet in a couple of weeks time.

I'm not sure of the weight of the different engines, but I don't think the S2000 engine with standard gearbox and required ancillaries is particularly light but that does not seem to be an issue.

I believe building based upon a standard factory supported set-up will be more straight forward than going down a slightly bespoke route, unless of course you have the necessary engineering background and knowledge.  

I definitely plan on coming to the local meet, provided I'm not called anywhere for work purposes.

Before I (somehow) ended up in IT, I did mechanical engineering at college.  I really wish that I had stuck with it, especially with the love for cars that I have now, the two would have complimented each other nicely.  Although the bespoke route seems appealing, I think it would definitely be a bit too daunting for my first foray into kit cars.  Building, owning, modifying & maintaining an "off-the-shelf" car seems like a good starting point to me.

A lot of people argue that the Sigma engine makes a very nimble car compared to some of the heavier engines and that any more than 200bhp is too much for a seven. It is all down to personal taste and I'm sure the same will be true for the 1.6 and 2.0 ecoboost.

Before I plan on handing over my credit card, I definitely want to drive and compare a lighter engined car vs. the sport 250.  The handling characteristics and ability are just as important to me as outright horsepower (maybe even more so!).  However, I should imagine that everything is going to feel nimble to me after driving a 1400kg+ RS  :laugh:

:ww: from Essex.

If you're a lover of all things Ford, there really is only one choice of engine in a seven........a cast iron lump of Dagenham history! :d

Good luck with the build.

• Like 1

:ww: from Essex.

If you're a lover of all things Ford, there really is only one choice of engine in a seven........a cast iron lump of Dagenham history! :d

Good luck with the build.

I can't wait to get stuck in, just need a garage before I can get anywhere!

Edited by mrsntw