Scotland Tour - not the Edinburgh one ;-)

Cleggy the Spyder Man

Planning on going up with some of the local crew to do 2-3 days of driving - I would imagine more tin tops than Westfields

Will probably go up there on a Thursday night, so will have the Friday, Saturday and Sunday full touring days - we will stop in three different locations and the plan is to get up to somewhere near Edinburgh/Perth on the first night then start the Friday morning on the old military road in the Cairngorms

Beyond that I really have no idea as to where is best to head

I guess we dont want to get too far North to make the journey back more manageable

Has anyone got a tour itinerary that they have used in the past or are planning that they wouldn't mind sharing or just any thoughts on where best to head for the best driving and most scenic spots

Somebody has mentioned that midges are an issue at certain times of year

Your thoughts

Thanks in advance :t-up:

Hi Cleggy.

Use Avon Skin So Soft for the midges as it works a treat.

You need to head over to the west coast for the best scenic drives in my opinion.

• Like 1

Glencoe is lovely, also I'd suggest sticking more to the West coast than the east for scenery.  The isle of Skye (and the drive west towards the Kyle of Lochalsh) is sublime...

• Like 1

I'd be interested subject to dates.

Might also try and join the June trip on here but just for a few days if possible.

David

• Like 2

go over the dukes pass (A827)  from aberfoyle heading north its an awesome road , follow it to the A84 turn left, follow and join the A85 at lochearnhead Left onto the A85, at Bovain turn right onto A827 to killin (see geoffreys' report) as you go up the side of loch tay  ben lawers is on your left, there is a small unclassified road off to your left takes you up and over the hydro dam round behind ben lawers to fortingail eventually rejoining the A827 and on up to Kenmore and aberfeldy (famous grouse experience) rejoining the A9 at Balinluig great little truckstop there good fry up and fuel.

nb if on the A9 it is average speed camera'd 

Here is a picture of Buttercup by the hydrodam.

You can walk right across the top of the dam on the wall and its lovely.

IMG_3832_zpsuk14qvj1.jpg

you are wetting my appetite chaps :t-up:

Any other thoughts? I believe we are looking at July as there is a midge problem in September?

Would love to Geoffrey but dates collide - I don't think there will any Westies in our group anyway although there will be quite a few members

If you are doing Glen Coe, I'm guessing you will be on the A82.

To get there I would suggest get to Stirling, then take the A811 West to Balloch (South end of Loch Lomond) then head North on the A82

But before you go too far, turn left onto the A817 and go see the Boomers at Faslane.

The A817 is a great blat route. I'm not even certain if its officially a road. I think they just blacktop the old construction road (for the base). As a result it has loads of odd cambers and yumps. 

And I totally second CraigHew, the A87 to Kyle of Lochalsh is possibly one of the most beautiful drives in the UK...

If you are doing Glen Coe, I'm guessing you will be on the A82.

To get there I would suggest get to Stirling, then take the A811 West to Balloch (South end of Loch Lomond) then head North on the A82

But before you go too far, turn left onto the A817 and go see the Boomers at Faslane.

The A817 is a great blat route. I'm not even certain if its officially a road. I think they just blacktop the old construction road (for the base). As a result it has loads of odd cambers and yumps. 

And I totally second CraigHew, the A87 to Kyle of Lochalsh is possibly one of the most beautiful drives in the UK...

Appetite wetted again :-) How easy is it to get to see the subs - how close can you get?

Appetite wetted again :-) How easy is it to get to see the subs - how close can you get?

Right up to them.

BLOG%2B019%2B%25282%2529.JPG

p1000697-scaled1000.jpg

If you arrive on the beach via the main path at low tide, you will just be able to make out to your left, to the south, two dark shapes lying in the sand with the bolder outline of what turns out to be a concrete block between them. The dark shapes are the remains of two midget submarines. 

They make a fascinating diversion from the more natural attractions of Aberlady Bay, but any exploration needs to be carried out with great care. The wrecks are a long way out, much closer to the low tide mark than high tide mark, and Aberlady Bay has a reputation for a rising tide that can cover the ground very quickly. Make absolutely sure you know what the tide is doing and leave yourself enough time to get out and back. Tide predictions for Fidra, an island off the coast near North Berwick can be found here.

The midget submarines are XT-Craft, training versions of the X-Craft that attacked the Tirpiz in 1942. In 1946 two of these vessels were towed to Aberlady Bay and moored to a large concrete block, then used as target practice and gun tests by RAF aircraft. Afterwards their badly damaged remains were simply left to rot. 

The wrecks have a very poignant feel today. The more southerly of the two is the slightly better preserved, and gives a real sense of the size and shape of the original vessel. It is difficult to imagine four men working underwater in the remarkably confined space of the hull.

• Like 1

Believe it or not, there is a viewing point on the A817 about 1/2 miles from the berths. Quite an elevation so a good view across the loch.

No problem in parking up and using long lenses or binoculars. You might be stood next to somebody in a furry hat called Ivan...

If they are in the berths you will have no trouble seeing them. Look to the right hand side and you will see a big shed. It's the ship lift. Can lift a whole Boomer out the water for servicing. Quite impressive.

You can drive up to the main gate with is 200mtrs from the berths, but at that point the land is flat so you want see anything except for one of the UK's most expensive fences.

Note: Do not do what four octogenarian tourists from Northern Ireland in an old Maestro did... Which is drive - unmolested - through the main gate and around the base until they got caught parking up outside the NAAFI.

A few folk got into trouble over that. We took the 'ahem' out of security for weeks after that episode...