Renting a garage for the westfield?

shrops-paul

Hello all

Due to a chaotic year in 2015 I'm now renting a flat without a garage rather than owning a house with one. The westie was put into storage over the winter. I can leave it in storage but I can't drive it. Sooooo. I was thinking of renting a random garage nearby in Shrewsbury. It won't be near my flat tho. Is this a risky idea for theft? Not sure how insurance would work either. I was thinking some kind of workshop would be nice but I can't find one. Car is in storage till the end of Feb then I have to take it out or renew.

This is it/an example.

Shorncliffe Drive, Shrewsbury, SY3 8TE

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-to-let/property-39094482.html

I have done a similar thing but fitted additional external locks and have it insured under the rented garages postcode. Few sleepless nights at first but 18 months on and all is good. Also make sure that you add insurance for any tools or parts you store in your garage as they're not covered on a standard car policy.

As long as you tell/check first with your insurance and pick a nice area you should be OK you can Always remove The steering wheel if you have a quick release boss, and fit a hidden kill switch under the dash, or put a wheel clamp o

My Westfields have lived in rented garages for nearly two decades. Tell the insurers, add some beefier lock and re-inforce the doors if they are the up and over type to stop the corners being bent in and try not to worry about it. 

my trailer is in a garage rented from a housing association... paying £9 per week.

tenants don't want the garages.

cheers

john

That's great thanks guys. I'll go ch ck it out and see if I'm allowed to alter the door for security.

They should be fine, I asked the housing assc that I rent from before I put the extra bolts on mine and as long as you're improving things, they're ok with it.

Ha ha. Comedy conversation with the letting agent. Before letting me view the garage they had to tell me it can't be used as "dry storage" so I expected them to mean the roof leaks. But no, apparently the floor floods. They spouted some none sense about the water table rising but it generally sounds like a shoddy garage. So that's off the table.

I have however found an alternative. A storage company has shipping containers that are alarmed and insulated that they will let me use as a garage. It's a little more expensive but way better security and quality. More space for the car and tools too.

• Like 1

I have however found an alternative. A storage company has shipping containers that are alarmed and insulated that they will let me use as a garage. It's a little more expensive but way better security and quality. More space for the car and tools too.

I personally would never store a car, or indeed anything made of metal in a shipping container for any length of time.  Condensation can be a nightmare and the risk of rust is too great.

well worth a read http://www.classicroverforum.net/index.php?threads/storage-headaches.39282/

I personally would never store a car, or indeed anything made of metal in a shipping container for any length of time. Condensation can be a nightmare and the risk of rust is too great.

well worth a read http://www.classicroverforum.net/index.php?threads/storage-headaches.39282/

These are insulated and ventilated so no condensation apparently. Not just bare metal inside:

"The biggest problem with containers is that being steel constructed they are prone to condensation due to changes in temperature. Our units benefit from being insulated with Grafotherm that totally eliminates this problem allowing you to store soft furnishings, paperwork etc with no fear of deterioration. Grafotherm, combined with the units being under cover, gives you peace of mind that your belongings will remain perfect whilst in storage."

All the council garages look to be in rough areas and estates. Not places I'd like to be seen parking up a car and not visiting regularly.

Insulated containers will be fine we use them at work for storage all the time with mo issue, it's only the single skin steel containers that turn into condensation traps, and even they can be made OK if you cut lots of vents in to allow for plenty of air flow, I would let the car cool prior to closing the doors just to be safe