A few days in Edinburgh - help

Cleggy the Spyder Man

Hi all

Yup very off topic - I am taking the wife and kids away for a few days in Edinburgh

We have some ideas ...

Arthurs seat

Castle

Brittania

Walk down Princess Street - Scott monument etc

Museum

Anyone got some favourites things to do whilst there and any tips to help us make the most of out time - family orientated!

Thanks

St Giles cathedral it is impressive, heaps of places to eat around there too,  Edinburgh zoo ( not sure how old the kids are) you can get a bus down to Leith and see hms brittania there

• Like 1

thanks gary - the kid might be an option and will aim to see if I an get the Cathedral on route :t-up:

I do fancy Britania but with only a few days I think it may take away too much time from other things :oops:

Go and find the midget submarines in Aberlady Bay.

You will need to check the tide tables.

• Like 1

Anyone got some favourites things to do whilst there and any tips to help us make the most of out time - family orientated!

I usually go round the ring road, and over the big bridge, not far, to Knockhill. Pretty sure the family will love it!  :laugh:

• Like 1

and if you fancy a wee detour either arriving or leaving  head across to Falkirk where you can see the Kelpies (giant scottish mythical sea  horse sculptures) and the Falkirk wheel its a rotational barge lift for the canals

• Like 1

Hi all

Yup very off topic - I am taking the wife and kids away for a few days in Edinburgh

We have some ideas ...

Arthurs seat

Castle

Brittania

Walk down Princess Street - Scott monument etc

Museum

Thanks

Cleggy, your list is a pretty good list for a few days in Edinburgh!

I'd like to add Camera Obscura on the Royal Mile as a fun place to go with the kids. The castle is great - expensive to visit but had to be done! The Royal Mile itself is a great walk and feel free to pop into the many closes along the way to find some beautiful small gardens and yards. Dynamic Earth is also a good place for kids. Hope this helps!

• Like 1

thank you all :t-up: :t-up:

Rober - We had seen the Camera Obscura place which looked very good for the kids but on top of the entrance to the castle we sort of discounted it :):t-up:

I remember seeing Britannia at Cowes week in her prime ... shiny and resplendent.

Visited her in Edinburgh a few years ago and she was looking pretty run down.  Still interesting to visit ... engine rooms are great.

Will your trip coincide with Burns?

• Like 1

silly fact about brittania , they built a garage for her majesty's rolls on her but and just a wee but, the measurements from the factory did NOT include the over riders on the bumpers.... so every time  the rolls was put on or off they had to be removed / attached.  ( my uncle was a chauffer to the royals)

• Like 1

What I remember about Britannia what surprised me was the following.

• ​Inside it is like a 1950,s Ikea with no hint of splendour.
  • The engine room is spotless.
  • All the beds are so tiny.
  • The helmsman is in a room with no windows. He takes his instructions from above but he cannot see anything.
  • The centre of the queens mirror in her dressing room is set at the same height as the point of her nose.
  • The cupboards that the ratings had to keep all their clothes and uniforms in are so unbelievably small.
  • In one of the rooms there are a serious of ships logs. Overtime the ship stopped anywhere, the area and sea bed was surveyed to ensure the areas were safe. The logs detailed other people, roads, escape routes and access etc. Really interesting.
  • Everything was done in silence. The ships crew were not to be heard by the Royals.

There were lots of things I did not imagine and its worth doing the tour as it is an eye opener.

• Like 1

Yes worth visiting as still interesting but her condition externally was depressing.

In addition to what you highlight I also recall.

All the external welds were ground to give a completely smooth hull.

When in port there would be a diver in the water most of the time to protect against someone trying to attach a mine.

The area where a Phantom was kept on board

Separate rooms for Him and her but Diana objected and this was changed for her honeymoon.

An interesting chapter in a book on her sea trial and the work to remove almost all vibration from her props.

As you say she was not that grand inside and was basically built around the state dining room for entertaining dignitaries.

• Like 1

When you going..?

Feeding the sqizzels in Princess St Gardens was a giggle.

And a walk round Jenners the department store will win you some brownie points with SWMBO.

If you can ditch the family - a pub crawl round the grass market is a hoot...

• Like 2