gas pipes

dombanks

Depends on the size of the pipe (22mm?). 

All gas lines are teed at some point. If the supply off the meter is the same size as what you intend teeing into you don't have an alternative.

Disclaimer: I'm not gas safe registered. :)

What boiler and size (kilowatt rating) do you have Dom, and what size is the pipe feeding the boiler? If it's a combi it ought to be a 22mm supply minimum. The final factor is the length of the pipe run from the meter to the boiler.

If you can tell me this info I should be able to give you a 99% sure idea of whether or not it'll be fine. If it is just a hob, most of them incorporate flame failure devices, the danger is using the hob and someone runs a tap which will make the boiler fire on a high rate and can in extreme instances take off the hob flame. If the combi demand then stops i.e. the water tap stops then gas could come back through the hob ring unlit.

I am gas safe registered by the way and an ACS assessor and trainer. If you need to chat pm me a number and I can give you a ring.

Just make sure whoever fits your hob is gas safe registered, they should be aware of the above.

Rich.

• Like 1

sorry tricky no idea.... just the flat we are buying has a gas boiler installed in the room next to the kitchen and her indoors was asking if we could do the kitchen (which needs it) and get a gas cooker installed. Its an old converted edwardian terrrace and the boiler i would say is not new at all but is a combi from what i remember. the run from the meter is pretty long one is at the front and the other is at the back of the flat.

if its going to be an pain then we will probably look at an induction cooker instead.

Was going to suggest induction instead if it was looking like a problem to sort the gas. Put one in when we moved a short while ago - brilliant bit of kit. Had a ceramic hob prior to that and it's chalk & cheese really. Should have got one years ago. It's particularly good with the cats Dom - top never gets properly hot so when the wee darlings decide to explore like they do, no burnt paws.