Aldi gas heater

Sparkymart

I've been thinking about getting one of these https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/sun-10-jan/product-detail/ps/p/turbo-fan-gas-heater-2/?pk_campaign=uk_product_newsletter&pk_kwd=2016-01-08_17-10

For the garage as it's not the warmest place this time of the year

Can anyone tell me if they are safe to be used in a garage or will I end up giving myself carbon monoxide poisoning?

Thanks

• Like 1

As above, gas heaters produce a lot of humidity, which will basically wreck your tools and rust any exposed metal.

However I can't agree on using IR or halogen heaters, these work by radiating heat into whatever they're pointed at, which has a tendency to melt/burn stuff. A colleague once used one at work, from 1m away it melted the back of his chair.

I use a ceramic PTC fan heater, as it's the only thing I trust without supervision.

I tend to agree on the IR heaters, you have to be very careful with them; they are way more effective than often realised.

I used two of the larger ones, outside, on a cold day, aimed at the rear tub of the Westfield, in order to soften the cured grp enough to bend up the rear lip of the tub for fixing to the chassis.

With the heaters just under 1 metre from the tub, I was seeing temps in the grp of 85 - 90 degrees C.

In a garage/workshop with all the dust etc, even if you keep large items away, they can become a fire hazard if not kept clean around them. (They're great for body shop use though, doing localised heating of repairs ;) )

I use a portable oil filled radiator myself, but the plate type are also good.

Thanks guys I didn't think about the moisture from gas, I currently have a quartz halogen patio heater which is fine when working under it but when I'm at the other end of the garage I can't feel it. I've also got a small domestic ceramic fan heater suspended over the car but to be honest I think I would be better off burning £5 note. Maybe worth getting another halogen heater for the other end of the garage.

I would steer away from Gas heaters in a garage, too many combustable liquids lurk in cans, bottles and there's always the petrol in your car.

Stick with an electric heater of some sort but not one with glowing red radiant bars.

Oil filled rads for me, and some thermals under the overalls,

thermals.... Now that's something for next year's Christmas list :)

Gas heaters are OK. Moisture? Never seen any and it keeps me warm as toast.

Thing to watch is the output as the Aldi is 16kw and I have machine mart one at 10kw which seems to be just the right size for double garage flat roof. Depending how much you use it will empty your wallet in gas usage.

The Aldi heater WILL poison you with CO (carbon monoxide) unless you have sufficient ventilation in the garage which sort of defeats the object.

Anyone using them for prolong periods without ventilation could well be slowly raising the CO levels in their blood stream, which weirdly makes them look quite health, (plenty of colour in their cheeks).

Best advise is make sure you have an (IN DATE electronic with audible alarm) CO detector in the same space as the heater.

• Like 1

The heater should be suitably sized to heat the area and will not/should not overcome the natural ventilation that is required for that type of heater.

Always read the safety precautions that come with the heater unless your stupid enough to buy one that's 10 years old and never seen a service/qualified and competent engineer in its life.

As tricky says detector which was the first thing I put up in the garage.

My post #10 mentioned the size but only the cost to your wallet, read the first line in this post again for clarity.

• Like 1

Thanks guys but what I'm planning is to keep the infrared patio heater at one end of the garage and fit one like XTR2TURBO put a link to at the other end of the garage and use a couple of old PIR'S to automatically switch between one to the other depending on where I'm working in the garage and turn off when I leave the garage to save on the electric