Steam in Staffordshire

Julie Hall - WSCC AO Representative

With a forecast of heavy rain all day in the Peak District it was clear that there was no chance of getting the Westie out today. So one employed one's chauffeur and went on a reconnaissance mission. We found planes, trains and automobiles, plus a canal, something for everyone really. The key feature was the road out of the area though.

We went to the Churnet Valley Railway, Staffordshire, to Froghall Station(excellent name don't you think?) and as Glen approached it downhill there was a sign saying 'escape lane', ooh this could be an interesting road on the way back! Well it was. On exit of our visit it was quite steep, uphill, quite twisty and on a national speed limit road, we are definitely coming here in the Westie.

We met a cute little fella in the car park, a Morris Commercial GPO van. We had a walk around the Victorian train station before sampling the real fire and fresh cakes in the cafe (pie and peas also available). Just in time for the steam train to arrive, I never tire of the smell and the feel of it's power as it sets off, brill. Feeling all proud to be British we went to Cheddleton station, through speed camera land, there were about 10 in total, no exaggeration. Another Victorian station and a canal along side it.

Time for the best bit, the drive back, up Froghall hill and then diverting right along a scenic high road via Ellastone which  conveniently landed us right next to Darley Moor Airfield and Road Racing Circuit (just for you Martyn and Sue). It was closed today, probably due to the weather.

I reckon this would make a fantastic day out with a group of Westfields, so with the next 'steam' day being 24th January I am off to do a sun dance and we will see if we can make it happen.

Sit here next to the real fire

DSC07207_zpshphjys39.jpg

Eat these, no January diet allowed

DSC07206_zpsnlyabwbk.jpg

Say hi to the cutey

DSC07214_zpsn2drafpu.jpg

If only pictures had aromas

DSC07210_zpsvvspyasq.jpg

The canal

DSC07218_zps6ptvpcvv.jpg

The Victorian station

DSC07216_zpstjhpzue6.jpg

And a 1 minute video

https://youtu.be/WiYhcpblXxA

Look in the 'Events' section if you want to come along with us next time and pray for better weather than today.

• Like 2

Looks good Julie, looking forward to it  :d

Sounds awesome, I am in Uttoxeter so your within hailing distance of me there!

We have a steam power narrowboat (dont ask) and have had a whistle-off with the Churnet valley on our last jolly up to Froghall. And we fit through the tunnel and everything. Just!

Daniel

• Like 1

I've also been along the Churnet valley by boat. Here we are about to crash in to the side of Consall station while I take a picture of a train. It was raining then too.

churnet4.JPG

• Like 1