Waterproof cover for trailing

Tim Essex

Looking for a waterproof cover to protect my widebody from the elements mainly while trailing. Saw one a while ago on the forum but was too late it had sold. Located in Hawkwell, Essex SS5. Thanks. Tim   :db-westy:   :db-westy:   :db-westy:

This is what I had made for Buttercup.

It does go on a lot tighter than shown in the pictures.

Have you tried talking to Soft Bits for Sevens.

• Like 1

Thanks - was looking for a full cover - used as I can't afford to buy a new one. Will give them a shout. Cheers

Tim got my full car cover from Halfords,small car size,it is waterproof and soft so won't scratch the car and breathable. It has elastic at front and rear and two straps that go under car and pull tight. Had it a few years but can't remember how much

• Like 1

These covers are all ok for parking up the car but don't work when towing on a trailer, better using the standard roof or tonneue which don't rip or damaged the gelcoat.   Some trackdayers have tried a cover with a net over as well with mixed results.

• Like 1

I would never tow a car with a cover on 

• Like 1

I have one if you want to see one and what's involved in getting one made.

mine need some miner repairs dur to mr fox taking a liking to it and chewed a couple of holes in it .

but I have used it to tow with and was fine because it is a tailored fit

• Like 1

You need a normal car cover together with Load Hugger Net which goes over the normal car cover!

It is available from Hamilton Classics around £80

I have had mine for over 3 years and it works absolutely brilliantly!

No rips in the cover and no dirty car when you get to the venue!

Hope this helps

B R

Graham

• Like 1

Bernie, Terry, Pete and Graham - many thanks indeed for your advise. I will have a look at Hamilton Classics as £80 is within budget. Pete, if your planning to come up to the Lodge this Sunday could you bring your cover with you? I don't have a do this Sunday so will make the meet - I missed loads last year.

Tim, £80 is just for the net type covering, you still need a regular cover to go underneath it. The stretchy net just keeps the regular cover pressed tightly down and stops it billowing and flapping as the air gets underneath it at speed.

• Like 1

tim 

cant  weekend im working

• Like 1

Yeah, it's the mesh/net cover stretched over the top of the regular light grey cover underneath. Supposed to work really well, though I'd want it to cover a bit more of the regular cover than the one in the photo seems to.

Hi Tim

I bought the Hamilton net on Graham's (GlutenFree) recommendation - couple of things to clear up - 1) it is not a stretchy material, it is a solid weave that allows a car cover to be anchored down to avoid billowing or loss of the cover and 2) it is a massive faff - it needs to be fitted perfectly which takes practice and has to be looped fully under the car in 3 different locations, meaning crawling around underneath is inevitable - not desirable when its lashing down with rain!

You also need a very robust cover underneath it as the net inevitably rubs the cover between the car and the net, putting either holes in the cover or slight rubbing on the car (made a couple of rubs through the paint on my rollbar).

I have tried every iteration of car cover for trailering my Westy now and the only one that works 100%, doesn't create drag & is easy to use is the cockpit tonneau. Yes the car gets wet (but less so than if you were driving the car through the weather), easily solved with a quick chamois, but the tonneau keeps the interior bone dry, is easy to put on and off and doesn't cause huge amounts of drag.

I did the same thing as you, put a post on here, tried all the things that were suggested before realising one of the first suggestions (think it was Terry) was the best. So hopefully you can benefit from my experience!

My Hamilton net is available should you wish to try that route but I strongly suggest tonneau is the way to go.

Cheers

Barny

• Like 2

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.