Oil Can Cafe 10th Jan

Julie Hall - WSCC AO Representative

Cheers everyone enjoyed it. Where did that BMW come from in the car park?

What's all this about the BMW?? Must of missed that one

If you look on other kit car websites there is seemingly nothing happening, I might be wrong, but what a great club we have here. In January, 12 cars and, with the extra family members turning up, about 30 people, that's what I call a friendly and sociable club. So if you are reading this and thinking of joining in, you can be certain that you will be made welcome.

An excellent turnout from Mr and Mrs Bioman, Rickyboy and Brooke, Martyn and Sue, Russ and Beth, Steve, Marcus, Graham, Dave, Robin, Barry, Chris and Matt. Thank you everyone very much for coming, and for being on time.

10 cars met at the Wheatsheaf

DSC07222_zpsaia42zju.jpg

DSC07225_zpsxftn7rh8.jpg

Graham had a fuel leak on his Westfield so wisely came in his classic mini instead, which sat lovely in line  with the others.

DSC07229_zpsxm7nkdgw.jpg

Rickyboy was mid-convoy leader as he also knew the route, and he likes to be in charge a bit too you know :p . We set off up to 'Surprise View', into Hathersausage, along past Ladybower and onto the Strines road. Now I have not driven beyond the Strines for a good while and I have forgot what a fantastic road it is. It really challenges your driving ability, no falling asleep at the wheel. It has some very steep, twisty bits on narrow bridges. You can bottom out easily (twice on the way back) if you go too fast in the wrong place, you could actually take off at one point. Add in running water in random places and a few cyclists (it was part of the Tour De France route, the smooth tarmac bit), it makes for interesting driving. For the passenger there are good views too, we must do it more often

Matt and his daughter were patiently waiting at The Mustard Pot and they joined the convoy. Then just past Crow Edge a madman waved us down, it was Barry waiting for us and he led us into the Oil Can Cafe, where we met Robin.

The Oil Can Cafe car park

DSC07232_zps0wnknqfp.jpg

DSC07237_zpsxb4v4xrh.jpg

Bioman assisted us with the doughnuts! thank you. After a little tyre kick, we went around the garage, before heading into the cafe. Steve's pre-lit car looking more modern every time I see it, I think they will steal the show at Silverstone Classic. There was only a short wait for tables and we were soon all munching away (Scott, you mentioned the goat in Jurassic Park?). Most people on our table had ordered Victoria Sponge cake for afters which we were satisfied with.....until Robin's White Chocolate cake arrived...'oooh that looks nice'....he was looking very worried at this point. Martyn and Sue made my day as they told me of their new GoPro, the trouble now is that I will be pestering them for footage all the time :) I love the Pinto up my, er, in my mirror, and now I have good reason. 

As the clock struck 2pm, sadly, it was time to leave. When the days get a bit longer we can do another stop on the way home and let the enjoyment of the day carry on, but regretfully, today, we have to press on. Well, Westfields scattered in every direction for the homeward leg of the journey. Unusually I had Matt in front of me and, crikey, up the hill from Jackson's bridge he was off. I know, I know, I am never going to catch a supercharged S2000, but I was squeaking with delight trying. I just hope I didn't spoil Russ's (behind me) fun too much. I think he was lagging behind a bit though :p  :p .

As soon as Trevturtle gives me a date (March-ish) we will be returning here and I, for one, can't wait. It has been a brilliant day and thank you to everyone for making it. Next Saturday, we are taking the scenic route around Ladybower reservoir, before going for lunch at the Snake Inn. Weekend after that, it is Steam in Staffordshire, calling in at Darley Moor airfield to finish. It's going to be a good year. Keep up.

• Like 6

From where I was I could see a black BMW that just seemed to keep reversing, I thought it had hit someone.

Look on your second video, at about 35 seconds, you can hear peeping first. BMW drivers eh....sorry Glen

Great run out again with friends old and new, thanks to Julie, Glen and anybody involved in organising a fabulous day.

See you all again soon.

• Like 3

Great day out guys despite a dodgy start for Rickyboy and me on route to Glossop!

s1_zpsgmgtef1j.jpg

• Like 3

Hoping I'm the 1,000 person to view this post :-) . Well done again Julie ,

• Like 1

Thanks again Julie and Glen for organising and Martin and Sue for getting me a coffee and everyone else for turning up. I didn't realise how cold it was out there till I got home, it took me all afternoon to warm up again!

Barry

PS Matt thanks for offering Andrew a lift home :)

Wow, we must all be very determined to get out in our cars and everyone was subjected to the cold today, but Marcus/Ricky, snow! and Dave, rain! at the start, I admire you.

Everyone did laugh though as Graham took off his coat and was just wearing a t-shirt, as he climbed into his mini, he took the verbal abuse well. It was good to see that everyone was appropriately dressed, showing that these cars are not just for the summer.

• Like 3

Some pictures from inside the garage

DSC07238_zps445zherq.jpg

DSC07239_zpswwxq2qdj.jpg

DSC07240_zpsw6lab0vd.jpg

DSC07241_zpstjztq0qx.jpg

No access to the public down there.

DSC07242_zps6xseezjt.jpg

DSC07243_zpsbb7c31xb.jpg

DSC07245_zpsnzayo874.jpg

DSC07246_zpsxtaokpdw.jpg

• Like 2

PS Matt thanks for offering Andrew a lift home :)

No worries Barry!

Did he tell you why I was out searching the streets at that time? My boot lid flew off on the way home, I didn't realise until I went out to the garages to turn the lights off!

Found it at the side of the road pretty beat up! :down: