Am I being an idiot?

Tommygun

Hello,

Recently took the V8 out for a few blasts, and enjoyed myself immensely.

Only problem was that I noticed a small fuel leak from the underside on the tank (back rear quarter edge of the tank)

This leak was sustained for a couple of days and I caught 1-2L of fuel, but overall I estimate 3-5L was drunk by the Angels.

PeteG told me there was a knack to filling the car but so far it's been flawless, I'm wondering if I haven't filled the tank slowly enough?

It has a vent inside the locking filler cap, but could a pressure build up inside the tank cause it to leave for 24hrs?

I've drained the tank more or less and the leaking has stopped, and after driving for a while today the needle has dropped back to a quarter of a tank.

Anyone else had these problems?

2009 SVAd 3.9V8 with a long range fuel tank

Usually seen around wilmslow area ;)

Cheers in advance

Tom.

I suggest the main and first thing to try and identify is where the leak is actually coming from, a gallon lost is way too much not just in cost but in flammable fluids. This is what you have started to do but until you nail it down you are possibly going to have a bigger issue on your hands regarding safety. It may be a filling issue but possibly a leak from a split hose or tank. You should be able to fill the car up to the brim without anything dripping out, I suspect you may have a max fill level built in by a previous owner. If its coming out of a vent the vent is clearly in the wrong place and may be syphoning fuel out could be a multitude of things but identification is key until then you have a problem to resolve. I would speak with PeteG again to resolve this but could it be a return system issue. Whatever it is it needs to be fixed and shouldn't be too big a deal to make fuel tight and a lot safer. Maybe its a problem that has never been ironed out by I guess a previous owner. Do these tanks have another vent line and breather as mine does. Maybe something basic and simple but possibly a bu**er to get too.

Good luck I'm over in Sale so not far away from Wilmslow where I'm going this morning co-incidentally.

Bob :(

Cheers Bob

Weirdly enough I'm in Sale today ;)

Yeah I was worried about the safety issue of flammable hence draining the tank more or less, I'll be putting the car on a lift (hopefully) tomorrow to get my head under it and have a propper look

It's stopped leaking now which suggests to me that the pressure has equalised, so maybe a stuck valve etc but still as you say too much fuel to leak out.

I'll investigate and display my findings.

Ta

tom

I have never had any problem with leaking tank before .so cant help. there is a breather pipe from memory on the top of tank and a pipe comes of it with a pipe which I think I run down one side of the wheel arches  . n/s .

on the near side bottom of tank  is where the fuel pump gets it take off . double check there and other pipes going to the pump.

cant see if you have over filled it would continue to leak.

might be worth removing the boot box to get a better look .

can give me a ring if you need any advice

My Seight with long range fuel developed a "weep" from the weld where the filler neck joins the top of the tank. Might be a check point - it will be under the boot box.

As this is the top of the tank and under pressure from the expansion section of the tank - if you overfilled it, its possible to make it leak more significantly than if it typically runs low fuel?

It would make the garage stink if I left it full overnight but didnt leak 1 litre as your's did, that is a lot and should be pretty obvious where its coming from?

Jon

For information if you do find a leak from a small crack or weld porosity you can use this "quiksteel" product to help out without needing to remove or empty the tank fully.

It stinks but it works well !

*ahem*

In reference to the topic title, "Am I being an idiot?" - no.  That's MY job around here, thank you very much, as anyone will tell you. :d

• Like 1

Thank you Mr Chairman I will dutifully remember that ;)

Thankyou for the replies

Me and my better half are looking now (she's doing the work and I'm making the tea, great arrangement)

Tom

Well took the pot cover off, nothing to see except avery tidy install (PeteG you are a master)

The only thing that looks to be a worry is the right hand side triangular wheel arm nut that touches the tank, the left hand side has a mm clearance but both show signs of scoring the tank.

Tiny amounts but enough for me to think there may be a tiny hole there generated from the cobbled road up too the Ring'O Bells pub in lower Peover (great food and driving)

Light has long since dissapeared and without enough time before my evenings work I will take other bits off to see properly.

I'll get some quicksteel in to fix if needed

Thank you everyone

Tom

fuel tank should have dimples in it from memory so bolts should not be that close . is the tank still secure with the tank straps . have a look on the cd in case there are some photos of the tank being fitted.