Aluminium Steering Rack Mount - feedback

6carjon

Everyone

Just moved from a rubber mount to the aluminum Westfield mount on my Seight.

I was concerned on an increase in harshness for road use but can report it doesnt have any significant impact on this, just much improved feel and more instant response which is exactly what I wanted, cheap and worthwhile change for me  :)

• Like 2

Does the aluminum mount do away with the rubber normally in place so that it's a metal-to-metal interface?

dave

Yes, the metal of the clamp sits directly on the rack. With most of the designs you then have a plastic - typically nylon shim that goes under the rack between the rack and the mounting plate on the car. The clamp then pulls the rack tight down on top of it. IYSWIM

Sorry, " if you see what I mean"

Cool - are people feeling that the steering is more precise with this mod? It sounds like 6carjon likes his. I know this is hard to put into words and I might be over thinking it but how does it feel different?

dave

Cool - are people feeling that the steering is more precise with this mod? It sounds like 6carjon likes his. I know this is hard to put into words and I might be over thinking it but how does it feel different?

dave

Dave,

It should feel slightly more postive/sensitive at the steering wheel input.

With the standard rubber bushes, transferring the rotation torque at the steering wheel to a linear motion at the rack causes the track rod arms to push and pull on the steering hub arms. Some of this motion will be lost in absorbtion by the rubber bushes (Einsteins theory of relativity says "for every action there is is an equal and opposite reaction"). Basically the arm moving out from the rack tries to push the rack inwards away from it, some of this movement is absorbed by the rubber.The aluminium mounts clamp the rack rigid and therefore the input is direct to the steering arms.

I hope that makes sense.

• Like 1

I've got these fitted, l can't give a comparison as I built the car with these fitted.

I was told they would be harsh on the road but I've found them good on the road & not harsh at all.

Andy

I can best describe it as when you drive a car with high profile tyres. When you set it up for a corner with a slight move of the steering to take up sidewall flex it then tracks properly through a corner when you apply steering lock . This change be removes the need for that slight movement. Does that help explain it. Its a slight but noticeable reduction of movement. In the straight ahead there may be some slight increase in harshness i don't notice it.

The best combination I had was the rigid rack mounts with the factory nylon bushes on the wishbones, it used to amuse me how easily you could feel minor changes in texture of the road surface! And how utterly responsive to small changes of input it was.

It never felt unduly harsh on the road either.

Cool - thanks for the feedback.

i understand why the rubber mounts would allow the rack to move in the mounts but didn't know if there was enough movement to be noticed.

I think I'll give them a try.

Thanks!

dave

• Like 1