A little too married to your mobile phone

Captain Colonial

One of my pet gripes is people so engrossed in their mobile phones that they manage to miss life going on around them.

Went to London last night to see Dawn French's one-woman show at the Vaudeville (excellent, top notch). From Marylebone onwards, I had to deal with swarms of idiots texting or doing whatever on their mobiles, which entailed me either shouting "Watch where you're going!" at them or shoulder barging them sideways as they came headlong at me, looking down at their screens and expecting everyone else to clear a path for them. But what happened at the theatre took the biscuit.

At the interval, I went to the gents to finish processing all the red wine I'd been consuming, and two urinals down from me, a man stood relieving himself (I hope) while texting on his mobile phone with both hands - BOTH hands.

I think that may be one of the warning signs that you need to put the phone in your pocket and go get a life.

• Like 1

Dare I ask.

Why where you looking around when stood at the urinals.

When someone is holding their phone up at eye level while standing at the urinals, it's hard to miss. When they do it with BOTH hands and type like their life depends on it, it's impossible to miss.

There's not many inventions that I wish we could un-invent, but the mobiles one of them; its damaged or destroyed so many aspect of our life, from the socially disengaged - sat in the midst of friends or family etc, but locked in an other world with their mobiles, to the constant 24/7 availability to work etc, or even the way it's overwhelmed and gridlocked our Police forces.

Went to the gents at work to take a wee. Walked in to the sound of a heated conversation punctuated by grunts, farts and splashes. Some animal was berating a subordinate whilst taking a dump. How much more inconsiderate and contemptuous could a person be I wonder.

If we are on for uninventing things, how about all the "social media" outlets. They seem to me to be far from social far too much of the time. Not a problem for me personally, I go nowhere near them, but they do seem to be the cause of a lot of grief and pain.

My kids/teenagers would sit in and text/facebook rather than go out.

Anti-social media maybe.

Its killed interaction and conversation, but handy at the right time. Texting with both hands impressive but stupid.

Bob

Just never take a phone to the Pub- my kids would hunt me down- telephonically.

There's not many inventions that I wish we could un-invent, but the mobiles one of them; its damaged or destroyed so many aspect of our life, from the socially disengaged - sat in the midst of friends or family etc, but locked in an other world with their mobiles, to the constant 24/7 availability to work etc, or even the way it's overwhelmed and gridlocked our Police forces.

I think the phone in itself is a good invention, the smart phone is the work of the devil. Once texting was invented who would have thought a whole generation would grow huge thumbs and lose the ability to spell full words.

Conversation has been relegated after twitter etc where the vacuous can hang on the next tweet from some equally challenged knob.

Add in the ability to annoy everyone with music video and games and my misery is complete.

It's only when you regularly see people using both a smart phone and a urinal at the same time that you're likely to get the pay off. Seeing someone drop their phone into the urinal is priceless. It quite literally made my day the first time I saw it happen.

• Like 1

It's actually come out as a safety brief at work that you shouldnt use your mobile phone while moving! due to that exact reason

Sad to relate, but my employer runs courses on how to produce news items on an iPhone.....as well as a raft of others on using social media.

Worlds gone mad.

It's actually come out as a safety brief at work that you shouldnt use your mobile phone while moving! due to that exact reason

I got a 5 minute lecture from an H&S person because he saw me talking on my phone whilst STANDING on an escalator. I cannot tell you the contempt I held for this idiot. 

And yes I'm sure I'm about to get jumped on by an H&S person explaining that using a mobile phone is a distraction and that accidents can happen and escalators are dangerous but goodness me, I'm a grown man. I can make reasonably good judgments about risk. At the time it was a 30 mile motorcycle ride each way to work. Using a mobile on the escalator was one of the safest things I had done that day! Boils my p***...