Geoffrey's Jaunt. West Coast of Scotland Tour. June 2016

Geoffrey Carter (Buttercup)

Hi Gary.

That's a plan for Wednesday. Done deal.

Just sat on my own, with Buttercup at Moine House.

One of the old murals has gone and a new one is in its place now.

The sun is shining and there is only us. No cars have passed us for around 20 minutes.

It's just absolutely amazing.

yes its absolutely lovely up there my daughter went to collage at Thurso and I have done the traditional boat festival in Wick a few times, silly fact about Wick for you, if at the harbour and you look north all the old houses are very traditional ie narrow streets and low houses, now look south and it is very different big wide streets , designed by Thomas Telford and south of the river used to be called Pultney town, that's why the whisky distillery there is called "old pultney". 1 thought (north) was that the wild winter weather would blow over the tops and not do damage, the 2nd thought (south) was that wide open streets would allow it to dissipate its energy  thus doing no damage.

ok I will go back in the sad corner now :)

Any thoughts on how you want to play Monday?

Enjoy

just home would like to thank  Geoffrey and Carol for a fantastic 4 days , good roads ,good weather and fantastic company. Put us down for next year .

Bob and Lorna.

• Like 1

David Geoffrey Can't make today but have a good day

Geoffrey give me a shout when you leave Durness on Monday morning and I will rendezvous with you at Aviemore on your way south, in Aviemore if you need a break / fuel or on the A9

Or could meet up Inverness and go down Loch Ness (Nessie spotting) :) speak bridge (commando memorial) and then loch Lagan to dalwhinnie a wee detour if you fancy it

07715554020 my mobile if anyone wants to join us

Hi Gary. Do you know a good place to meet near Avimore. Trying to fine somewhere with parking and a cafe.

Regarding the route.

Not a lover of Loch Ness as all you see is trees. lol. I always try to avoid it.

Also I have been to the Commando memorial 4 times this past week.  :d

If you are not keen on my proposed route then try again.....no offence meant so I hope non taken.

How much notice do you need to meet me at Aviemore.

just home would like to thank  Geoffrey and Carol for a fantastic 4 days , good roads ,good weather and fantastic company. Put us down for next year .

Bob and Lorna.

Thats FANTASTIC.

Are you coming right up to the top this time.

Hi I can meet you at aviemore no problem  and no I dont take offence easily ( strong int back n thick int head comes to mind lol )  parking and café in aviemore ? there are a few cafes but parking can be hit and miss, there is a café / toilets / parking at ralia about 20 miles south of aviemore . I can loop up onto the a9 on the north side of aviemore and meet you in layby before aviemore and we can decide from there, if you need fuel then aviemore it will be. its roughly an hour to aviemore from here. whatever suits you best is fine by me

Thanks Gary. Just sent you a text.

Tonight the Northern Lights are forecast.

Just set up the go pro on a fence in night lapse mode.....fingers crossed.

Today I spent a lot of time around Loch Eriboll. This is my favourite place in the world.

Lots of history associated with the loch as its where part of the german submarine fleet surrendered and there are also the Hood stone on the hill. The roads around the Loch are breathtaking.

I was going along them today when a bunch of penis's in BMW's came up behind be at a million miles an hour and the front car was tooting his horn like mad. 6 BMW's and a mini and they all had stickers on. Total blooming morons.

The roads are so smooth up here and I don't think they know what a pot hole is.

Also the same with a Lamborghini who accelerated away like crazy. These really are not the roads for it and a number of the locals are not to fond of the Scotland 500. 

I ventured down a few "tracks" and found some great secret places than probably only the locals know and I will save them for next year's trip.

The northern lights are forecast tonight so hoping to see those.

Went for a clamber around Smoo Cave and I was the only one there and it was fantastic. The cave is britains largest sea cave entrance, and there is a big waterfall inside. This time I ventured above the cave and found the hole with the river dropping vertically through it.

Went back to Moine house which is in the middle of nowhere. A new painting has been painted inside for those in the know.

It is 10.22pm and still daylight. The cows and sheep are still eating in the fields outside my window. The days are really long and you can do so much stuff.

Spoke with some great people today and they all have stories to tell. Its funny that in England the people don't seem to chat like they do up here.

Saw a proper Scotsman today. he is a chap who lives in the village and is a farmer. He was working in his kilt. I asked about him and he wears a kilt everyday of the year.  How brilliant is that.

I have done loads today and my mind is buzzing with it all...lol. Wait till you see the pictures. 

I'm doing the NC500 next month and really looking forward to taking in some of the spectacular roads you've covered over the last week. Unfortunately I suspect there will be even more clowns like those in the BMW's you met, when the Top Gear episode of their NC500 trip airs in the coming weeks. Post your photos soon please. :yes:

Hi Dean.

Pictures will not be till next week as too shattered when I come in to sort them out.

Was up at 6.30am and did not come in till about 8.00pm. Been out all day and wanted to stay out longer but my face and eyes are sore with all the sun.

Its amazing. 11.55pm and its still light enough outside to go walking.

Another bright and sunny day.

Its getting to the stage now that I actually want some rain and for it to be cooler.

Just had a brilliant breakfast at hilltop in Durness that is run by Tony and Jill. I have stayed here before and can thoroughly recommend the place.

The are a set of eagles nesting not far away and I have been told by Jill that there is a chick in the nest. I would love to go and have a look but will leave them alone.

Going to film the Hood stones this morning. They were done by the sailers of HMS Hood before the Hood was sunk by the Bismarck.

Off down to killin today for my last three nights. Really wish I could stay longer.

Already looking forward to next year.

Forecast for tomorrow here is either 16 or 21 Deg C depending on who you look at . See you all at Dunottar , is the timing still the same ?

Hi. Struggling to get connected. They don't serve breakfast until 8.30 in this new hotel. If we leave Killin at 9.15am what time do you estimate it will take to get to the castle at 50mph.

It's great you can join us.