Blimey! Impressive PTW

clansman

Well I'm not so sure I'd like to be doing the 188mph in something like this or my westy but impressive power to weight ratio non the less and looks to have been a very good build. Don't think he should have video'd it on the road either as it doesn't look "finished" and road legal!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3317420/Petrolhead-splashes-75-000-building-dream-car-s-TWICE-powerful-1m-Bugatti-Veyron-s-got-no-roof-sides.html

It's for a 'paper' for tools. I didn't bother to read it but did it say what his house was worth?

Just for the record I do NOT read that paper or any of them to be honest I came across it on another site lol .............hopefully that doesn't make me a "tool" :getmecoat:

477bhp from a 1.6 MX5 engine? Bet it drives lovely!

Nice project

I had the same thoughts too, I'm also struggling to see how he managed to spend £75k building an MEV Exocet ???

He has had the police round this evening for proof that it is registered, insured and taxed. Which it is.

I thought they could check those things remotely  ???

Im surprised they haven't spoken to him about the speed he was doing in the video, considering someones just been prosecuted for videoing themselves speeding.

• Like 1

I had the same thoughts too, I'm also struggling to see how he managed to spend £75k building an MEV Exocet ???

thats one hell of an expensive steering wheel and im assuming the engine was stripped and rebuilt by small blind peruvian orphans high in the andes for that sort of cash?

like i said the article made him and it sound a bit of a tool and i expect a decent write up in a proper magazine will be a bit more accurate on the claims.

i did like the comment about having to wear a special suit etc.... we all know he tested it out on some back road before it was legal in fliplops and a t shirt :)

I'm surprised the Dailyfail didn't take the other side on this, set the guy up as an irresponsible road racing menace to society and then run another story when he gets arrested for speeding.

Having had a brief glance at his FB stuff, (it was brief, between his and the other comments, I lost the will to live after a bit), I get the feeling the article was basically written by someone with little to know understanding of the subject.

As to the £75k, perhaps, it's had to tell from his FB posts, (and it sounded like his MX5 Nutz thread would be even more depressing), now bear in mind, I know little about what's available MX5 tuning wise and their costs, but he seems to be hinting that the engine has all steel/forged internals and something around a 9 1/2 k red line, certainly with other engines to get vaguely to the spec he throws around could cost you over 10k, without even getting to the turbo part. He also talks about have Quaife internals to the gearbox and diff. I know Quaife innards for less popular gearboxes can be out of this world cost wise, compared to the equivalent in a Ford Type 9.

He also talks about having had custom carbon fibre bodywork made to replace the standard Mev Exocet grp.

While I didn't read that much further, some of the photos further down looked like he'd had at least one engine blow up. So don't forget, the £75k figure might be a rough total of what he's spent, not what's actually currently in the car IYSWIM.

Though I do think the lack of knowledge of the reporter has played up to this whole value thing as well as the performance side, I'm not sure if the reporter even grasped that it was a (supposedly heavily modified) kit car...

I'm surprised the Dailyfail didn't take the other side on this, set the guy up as an irresponsible road racing menace to society and then run another story when he gets arrested for speeding.

Actually I was surprised too, that they didn't angle in on the speed/home build thing in a negative way.

As for speeding, "apparently", (i.e. he claims on his FB thread, and perhaps in Nutz), someone did try and get him reported, even going to the length of measuring the distance covered in the video and timing the video. The police have visited him, and satisfied themselves in regard of insurance, tax etc, and have viewed the original video, more or less agreeing that the uploaded video is sped up for effect. Theirs no speedo etc visible in the clip, so no where to really go with it.

Mind you, it does concern me when I see people uploading clips of cars missing half the bodywork, messing about on public roads. Our main line of defence against a lot of the people that would see us banned from building such cars, is the IVA test and its assurance that all cars meet a basic safety level. If they start seeing to many of the test requirements blatantly ignored, then it becomes toothless.