Applecross 2016 or the northwest 500

ziplob

just floating this idea about before we start to get 2016 underway , instead of doing all weekend in Applecross why not spend the three days doing the northwest 500. we could make the first leg Applecross on the friday night with our barbie and move on Saturday morning, i have a list off all the b and bs around the 500 . We would still have the support van so we can stock up on fuel and spares. . If you dont know about the Northwest 500 google it .

I know it is a fair hike but i thing well worth it. Otherwise Applecross here we come .

Bob

I have something hopefully in the winter magazine that may hopefully bring some southern Westfields up into Scotland during the first two weeks of June and I will be doing the West coast and some of the 500. Would be great to have a big get together and I have already touched on the subject with Robert the Scotland AO.

just floating this idea about before we start to get 2016 underway , instead of doing all weekend in Applecross why not spend the three days doing the northwest 500.

It may come down to cost for some of our members. If you could have some rough figures for the next meeting Bob, that'd be great! We can put all the suggestions to the group.
  • Like 1

Happy to do either one. Additional cost is only going to be fuel and probably slightly more expensive B&B's instead of the camping huts on at least one night. Biggest issue with doing the 500 may be the logistics around where to stay if it's a big group of us.

Matt

Biggest issue with doing the 500 may be the logistics around where to stay if it's a big group of us.

True. A bit of work required in this area and I'm sure Bob will do his homework! :rolleyes::laugh:

Personally speaking, I'm up for a change to Applecross if a viable option presents itself, and this definitely being one of them. A tour around SW Scotland if also in the offing if members would like more information on it..?

500 for my vote. Happy to even rough it in a tent

No "green" cars allowed north of Inverness.............sorry mate

It's Ninja Green, no-one will see me! Lol

LOL you been on the sauce ??? "Ninja" !!!!!

Northwest 500?

I presume you mean North Coast 500...I have been involved with this since inception including assisting Evo magazine with their Car of the Year test...see this months issue and a few pix I took. http://www.surf2turf.com//ECOTY/index.html Anyway if the NC500 is likely to be a goer and require assistance let me know.

On a secondary note there maybe a 7 tour is not just Westies'

will keep you in mind if its on , think its time we done it , after all its the ultimate road trip in Scotland.

• Like 1

I have something hopefully in the winter magazine that may hopefully bring some southern Westfields up into Scotland during the first two weeks of June and I will be doing the West coast and some of the 500. Would be great to have a big get together and I have already touched on the subject with Robert the Scotland AO.

Our weekend in June usually takes place during the 3rd weekend (18th to 20th this year) and the members usually keep this free of family commitments year on year as a permanent date. However, I've got a meeting planned next month and another due some time in the new year, so I'll ask them all and find out what they think. Until then, it'll all just be conjecture.

• 2 weeks later...

The North Coast 500 is a definite for me next year. I'm planning on doing it in April/May in a "normal" car first which I can easily stop and jump out of to take photographs. Then have a 2nd trip in the Westy if we can organise a club run. See the "official" website http://www.northcoast500.com/home.aspx