Calling diesel gurus

TrophyJem

I have an old diesel Zafira that I keep in Spain and bring back once a year (full of wine of course) for it's MOT and service.

On this years journey home (about 700km from the tunnel) I called in to fill up and as the revs dropped below about 1200rpm the oil light came on. I checked the oil level and all was good.

Left with no choice but to continue the journey I proceeded to touch the throttle very lightly, but each time the revs dipped the oil light would come on and rise again as the revs increased.

At lowish revs I could also hear a whining noise that I'd not heard before. To describe the sound, its like the sound that you get if the alternator belt is too tight or the tensioner is failing.

I'm pleased to report that the car made it home. I had visions of breaking down at the side of a French motorway, or worse still in the middle of Paris.

So the question is now what to look for to try and fix the fault? All suggestions greatly received.

It may be that I conclude the only sensible option is to now scrap the vehicle, but I'd like to fix it if I could. It's certainly not worth taking to a dealer for repair.

The engine in question is a Vauxhall Y20DTH. The oil pump is built into the timing chain cover and the chain tensioners are operated by the oil pressure. So I'm guessing oil pump and maybe timing chain plus tensioners?

Did it smoke excessively when it was happening?

I had a Vectra with this engine.  2 weeks  After buying it I realized there was no oil light... I looked about and found the wire to the sender had been disconnected... so i reconnected it. Then I  had a problem with the oil light, only when the oil was hot and only at low revs.  I feared the worst but changed the sender as it was leaking oil.  This fitted the oil light and it lasted 100k more at least.   The other thing is.. When was the oil last changed? if i remember 10,000 miles is the limit.    

Try changing the oil & filter first? Could be nowt more than a clogged filter.

Did it smoke excessively when it was happening?

No smoke.

Oil and filter were changed less than a year ago and its probably covered around 6k since then. 

I'll try an oil and filter change and see what happens. Just worried about the whine. 

Disconnect the aux belt and see if the whine disappears

If it does you will know its alternator/aircon/tensioner etc

• Like 1

If it stands a lot between uses, I suspect a bearing gone dry on something g waterpump / tensioner of some kind

The oil pressure switch had sprung a leak.

£3.99 for a replacement  :t-up:

Now to look at the whine