Router position

Terry Everall

I have a DrayTek router and we only have about 3MB/sec broadband speed. I was talking to someone the other day and they said I should locate the router as close as possible to the BT main socket coming into the house and it would then speed up the broadband/WiFi a bit 

At the moment the router is in another room and has about 6 to 7m of telephone wire feeding the router

Would you move it?

It's sort of true, the reason being that BT lines are extremely susceptible to radio interference and reducing the length of the line will help stabilise your connection, BUT if you have an extension coming off the main socket to anywhere in the house, this line will still pick up interference regardless of where the router is located.

Do you leave the router on 24/7?

I ask because if you turn it off/on a certain number of times within set time frame, the line registers this as a connection loss or fault and dynamically reduces the broadband sync speed (BRAS profile) in an attempt to get a stable connection.

Once this ^^ occurs, if you start leaving the router on 24/7 it can still take up to 6 weeks for the line to get back up to speed.

• Like 1

Router is left on 24/7

If you can get away with just one socket in the house, then do it, also make sure the incoming line enters the house and goes straight to your main socket.  There are large variations on speed loss when having extentions dotted around the house.  A long cable from the filter to the router is not a problem as long as it is quality cable that is screened and has twisted wires inside.  Best ones are the Belkin range.

It's a bit like tuning your Westfield, less, is more speed if you  use quality parts.