Caged....

TableLeg

Having recently gone down the route of figuring my build would be better off with a full cage rather than a rollbar I weighed up the options.

After careful consideration I decided to purchase a Caged Laser full cage as many have on this forum.

I placed the order and paid the £1050 for it to be delivered.

It was quickly delivered and we'll packaged and therefore arrived with no signs of damage.

On looking closely at the design and construction was superb. The powder coating wasn't perfect but what is these days?!?

I then opened all the various smaller packages. I then found I had various fittings missing. I spoke to Caged who said they'd send out the missing parts. I detailed exactly what was missing. Yet the parts that turned up were wrong!

Figuring I'd just have to buy the right bits myself (but why should I?!?) I set about fitting the side impact bars.

I found they were very badly made and neither fitted at all. The chassis jigged mounting holes turned out to be symmetrical but the side bars were out by as much as 6mm on the mounting flanges. To make matters worse the angled plates to which the outer bar of the cage would fit were also misaligned and I'd have found one of the bolts almost going through the outer edge.

At this point I contacted Caged and made them aware of the issues. I got no response. After a while I tried again only this time contacting the operations manager Phil Squance. I received a response saying he had my email and would respond soon. That was the last I ever heard from him. I have since tried contacting twice more but now over a month later still nothing.

It would appear to me that the design and fabrication of the cage itself is excellent however the other parts that go with it are not. The side are shockingly bad by comparison but more importantly the customer service has been very poor.

If you are considering buying a Cage I would seriously look at all other options first.

I wish I had dealt with Luke at Playskool Motorsport as I know he always goes out of his way to help customers.

Sadly I missed out on the group buy by a few days.

Sadly it seems as though every small motorsport business I contact has shocking service.

Nothing in stock, not replying to calls or emails whether you are wanting to buy something or have bought something.  It really makes me wonder how half of them stay in business.

David

• Like 1

In the interest of Balance - Im very happy with Caged - I negotiated a great price including fitting, all done in a morning and found them very good to deal with...

In the interest of Balance - Im very happy with Caged - I negotiated a great price including fitting, all done in a morning and found them very good to deal with...

That wouldn't be unsurprising Russ since you clearly did not experience any issues.

If you had, you may not have been so happy.

If your chassis jigged mounting holes are symmetrical then it may not be the cage which is wrong but rather the chassis. As Luke explains in this post, historically the Westfield chassis wasn't symmetrical and hence the caged cage isn't meant to be either.

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/115754-playskool-cages-bulk-buy/

"when caged was jigging up for these, they discovered that on the orginal cage, the front legs of the cage which bolt through the side of the chassis aren’t actually the same distance from the rear arch on both sides. They therefore rectified this when rejigging for this cage. "

I can therefore presume if you have a symmetrical chassis that Westfield have now corrected this discrepancy when the chassis underwent some design modifications a few years back to standardise it with the sport turbo etc.

Mark,

You misunderstood the alignment issue. The front, middle and rear arms all align. But the separate side impact bars which are bolted inside are what has been poorly made.

Despite all this the customer service has been shockingly bad.

I found my cage fitted ok but I had to buy all new bolts as they were wrong.

I also found if you email you are wasting your time, you need to phone!!

And for that price you could have brought it though the factory!

• 2 weeks later...

Seems I'm not the only one with this problem.

This exert is taken from the Caged Group buy' post.....

Luke,

I have started to have a look tonight at the cage fitting.

I think I also have a couple of issues with the inner bars:-

1. They look to be 15-20mm short in length

2. I cannot see how there is anyway of bolting the connection shown in the photo below?

3F893316-33E2-4F27-BE6D-CCEBD473054D_zps

Can you advise please?