New Nissan Leaf...

tex

wish my Outlander PHEV looked like that leaf inside :t-up:

See this is why I don't buy a car if I can't buy it outright for cash.

People typically go for a monthly deal that they can just about afford, meaning they can't save any money, meaning after the 2 years the only choice they have is to tie themselves down with another finance deal or have no means of transportation.

It's this whole idea of slowly bleeding cash from people, keeping them in debt with no real options, it just gets right under my skin.

What an old fashioned way of looking at things. I have a lease and I'm able to save, so your views are meaningless and pointless. 

You were obviously one of the lucky ones who never had a mortgage either, as you have something against monthly deals. Fair play, I wish I had that luxury.

I have had PCP deals for about the past 15 or so years.

I know I am forever paying for a car as I change regularly but I know where I am with my money.

For me it suits my needs.

This took a strange direction.....I was all on for an argument about the fundamentally flawed nature of pretty much all electric vehicles while we still generate most of our electricity by burning stuff. Yes, I get the argument about having to start somewhere....but still.

Chap at work bought a Leaf - loved it, evangelized about it until we were sick of listening to him.....then he realised a fatal flaw when he moved slightly beyond it's range. Got to love the irony of carrying a petrol powered generator around in the back of your 100% electric vehicle. Did that make it a hybrid?  :)

Wouldn't say no to a Tesla S P85D though, but that's got nothing to do with 'green' and everything to do with the performance and looks of the thing for me.

I know there seems to be two debates going on here, but as to PCPs. I do 30k miles a year at work and ran a succession of "bangers" that cost £3-4k. When I did the maths, what I saved on fuel running a new Skoda Octavia diesel, plus zero road tax, plus cheaper insurance and a years free servicing, MORE than covered the monthly payments on my PCP. It was a self financing no brainer!

thats why i changed - our car was knocking on a bit - would need some work doing soon. to replace it id have to come up with a deposit, monthly payments, etc - it adds up. so why not have a new car that is financially cheaper to run? obviously the model will dictate the costings.

we installed solar panels few years back - so we can charge the leaf during daylight times for free. even with daylight hours it only costs about £2-3 a charge at home.

with regards to where the electricity comes from - ie power stations - well tbh - i dont think of it - all i bought the car for was financial reasons. cost of fuel, insurance etc - it was cheaper. remember tho - the leaf was NEVER designed to be a normal family car - it was designed to be a town run about car - short journeys - so range cant be compared - yet.

range is coming though - each evolution adds range - its not just battery tech that makes it go further, better parts can make it better - example making bearings much smoother, tyres that roll further aerodynamics, etc

• Like 1

Fascinating stuff.

I suppose like most things, a lease works for some and not others, for all sorts of reasons. I've never bought a new car and likely never will, I mostly run old sheds that cost me very little to keep on the road. I do very few miles, so fuel costs are pretty unimportant. Insurance is pretty cheap as I am old, and fairly lucky to date. I have only ever paid to have a car serviced once in almost 40 years of driving. Can't see me wanting to sign up to £200-£400 a month for a shiny new car I get little or no benefit from. For someone else in a different situation, why not. If the sums work.

Confess I am old fashioned in as much as I find the idea of effectively just renting the car a bit odd, but lots of folk do it.

Things may change as I get older, might even end up with an electric car for the few short trips I might make....but I doubt it unless the government make it too expensive to carry on with petrol cars.

Can't help thinking that the electric revolution might stall as soon as the subsidies dry up. It'll be like the way diesel is headed - loads of folk suckered into a type of vehicle by misguided cost rigging. Our national grid is close to capacity as it is - wonder how it'll cope when a large proportion of cars are electric? Fewer people are likely to want to get into solar as the subsidy reduces as well. Also wonder how long the free or cheap charging points will last. The folk putting those in are only doing it to make money..as soon as they have a big enough captive audience, the prices will start to climb.

...just my cynical view.

It's a similar view to what I have. I recently decided against solar panels because they didn't work for me. I wouldn't have bought my Zoe without the 5k government grant. Once electric cars are mainstream I can't see the free charge points remaining free.

Using leccy cars you have to think more planning ahead.. Different tbh, makes a change.

Using leccy cars you have to think more planning ahead.. Different tbh, makes a change.

How does the leaf do at mixing regenerative braking with friction braking? I find that when the Zoe is fully charged and so doesn't no much regen, it can get confused when coming to a stop. Keeping the brake pedal at the same pressure can result in normal slowing down, then a gap as you come to walking pace when it can't regen anymore but before it applies the friction brakes harder. When the battery isn't fully charged and so it can regen at the full amount it seems better at mixing the two.

Never underestimate the power of the car manufacturers lobby.  It's huge.  They are major employers throughout Europe and will always threaten to take their ball away if legislation threatens their profitability.  They won't be pushed way from petrol cars until they're ready for it to happen

the regen on a Leaf is really good, 15Kmile cars with no brake pad wear, as using lower pressure anticipated braking only uses the regen. hard emergency braking sees the friction material kick in

Just think, no oil to change, no oil filter to change, no air filter to change, very little brake pad wear, no clutch to change...etc Long term battery capacity is also looking good. Nearly a service free car

The regen is quite good. Theres a scale on the dash you can watch as you drive. Series of dots. Press the throttle... Use white dots. Lift off the throttle and the scale moves across to the blue range, or regen. So with careful driving you can keep the scale on no consumption or regen on downhills or braking. Flat level driving is more challenging, just about keep it on no consumption.. Its fun. If you drive carefully there's an animation showing how many trees you save per journey. You have an account, called carwings. The car logs into it and records your driving history and style. Then it speaks back to you how you rank in the area, country, world.. Lol