New Nissan Leaf...

tex

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/channels/2015-tokyo/releases/nissan-ids-concept-nissan-s-vision-for-the-future-of-evs-and-autonomous-driving

98f9e482-fb7c-470a-a86f-46c83c1ef749-768

Like it or hate it?

if you click the link at the top you see the tech involved - but is it real or fantasy?

well its been tested for real here

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/releases/nissan-conducts-first-on-road-test-of-prototype-vehicle-featuring-piloted-drive-on-highway-and-city-urban-roads

008b4d9a-01b9-4470-9b86-b07080d59e43-768

so you might say - ahhh but its wayyy off in the future - how about 2-3 yrs? new leaf is due 2017.. im first in line

more shots

3ed449ea-1d07-4eb6-9d6d-47b511736913-768

58a917ab-4603-458f-8f73-67fe2ddf43e4-768

I like it, I'm seriously looking at an EV car to replace my 3 series when the lease agreement expires. I want to test drive a Tesla but I'm a little concerned they might be a bit big being as they are designed for North American roads. Although I did read the want to bring out a model in the same size and price bracket as a 3 series.

I like it, I'm seriously looking at an EV car to replace my 3 series when the lease agreement expires. I want to test drive a Tesla but I'm a little concerned they might be a bit big being as they are designed for North American roads. Although I did read the want to bring out a model in the same size and price bracket as a 3 series.

i currently lease a leaf for 2 yrs on a pcp deal - and tbh i like it - it is very very relaxing to drive - so quiet.

but you have to understand when buying an ev now it does have limitations and good points.

first  - you will need some way of travelling further - another car? well actually when you buy a leaf nissan will lend you a car if you need to go further afield [5x times a yr i think]

it will in the current form realistically do 100 miles - motorways less - bout 80miles

so the way you gain in owning an ev is if the car its replacing is only doing local runs, thats what it was designed for. most households usually have more than one car nowadays - so there could be a way to go further if needed.

the benefits..

a 100 mile charge will cost at home about £2ish - yes just that - if you have solar PV panels free driving!

no road tax

reduced insurance premiums

they are suprisingly spacious inside

regenerative braking and lift off - yes everytime you lift off the throttle or brake you recharge the battery - which is why towns and local driving gets better mileage. motorways are all pedal down no regen

you can have a free test drive for 24 hrs or so from the dealers

charge point installed at home for free in with the deal

lots of free public charge points but tbh weve only used the fast chargers twice now since last october.

if you use a fast charge it puts 80% charge in about 45 mins cost about £5-6 depending where you are.

you have a couple of cards you use to pay for the charging [swipe cards linked to your bank] currently the best ones are charge my car and ecotricity - one of them i cant remember which one costs £20/yr per card + whatever you use.. nowt really.

if your replacing a town run about local car - bingo - you will save all the way to the bank..

theres a new version coming out in the next month or so with extended mileage - realistic 130 miles.

new version due [from what iv heard 2017?] if so a pcp for 2 yrs contract will fall in nicely to switch when the one above comes out which should have over 200 miles range at least - well over

i dont think people realise yet that the days of the combustion engine are coming to an end - after all - you can only buy what the manufacturers make - even if you dont like ev's - if they dont make a 4 pot engine etc - you wont have a choice - government laws are so tight on emissions now that engines are struggling to meet legislation. remember volkswagon? why did they lie? cos it couldnt be done or they would of just done it. chances are the solution to vw's problem will be a remap of ecu's - ten bob the next issue will be poor performance figures customers complain of - poor mpg or sluggish engines.

manufacturers are going small engines now to meet emissions - then when that goal post is too unachievable - then what?

nissan were brave when they introduced the leaf - as a mass produced car - most people dont see just how many get sold - around 1 in 20 cars roll of the line at sunderland - it will be a lot more im sure when the new car comes out - im guessing it wont be as it is in the concept car - carbon fibre bodywork - thatll go - too slow to make. autonomous driving - well actually that is coming - firstly as a traffic jam version - it will take over in slow traffic - thats a definite design which is due on multiple models in a year or so - then later on at motorway speeds autonomous driving - but tbh id like to see how that will work as you cant take your hands off the wheel legally at speeds over 6mph in the uk. but times change... 

Can I ask what your lease costs/ initial outlay are? Any mileage limitations in the lease deal? 

i work for the company - lol - so i get to see all models etc - and discount

the offer i got was through the dealership - i do get discount tho of about 22% if i remember right

standard deposit £100

2 years paying £189/m

nothing else to pay just my insurance which was £240 for myself and wife [1 accident doh] was £200 last yr before the accident

as said its a pcp deal

at the start of it you agree a mileage allowance [8500/yr we chose]

at the end of the 2 yrs we can

give it back and walk away - no penalties

give it back and order another new one - probably

keep it and pay the balance whatever that would be - naaa be way too much

in effect im running around in a top of the range tekna leaf for less than £200 - no fuel - no tax - low insurance - bargain!

obviously i get discount - but still the deal is a cracker

tekna leaf comes with all the toys - cameras all round, leather, heated seats, bose sound system, blah blah blah...

i was running a bottom of the range nissan note i bought - getting on in mileage and that cost me more per month than to buy the leaf!

http://www.nissan.co.uk/GB/en/vehicle/electric-vehicles/leaf/prices-and-equipment/compare-leaf-models.html

Sounds like a very good deal you have. I wonder what the normal retail cost would be? Your discount covers a fair chunk of the depreciation and battery cost I guess...

the deals change all the time - have a mooch down to the dealer - sure they will give you the keys for a day.

give it back and walk away - no penalties

give it back and order another new one - probably

keep it and pay the balance whatever that would be - naaa be way too much

See this is why I don't buy a car if I can't buy it outright for cash.

People typically go for a monthly deal that they can just about afford, meaning they can't save any money, meaning after the 2 years the only choice they have is to tie themselves down with another finance deal or have no means of transportation.

It's this whole idea of slowly bleeding cash from people, keeping them in debt with no real options, it just gets right under my skin.

People typically go for a monthly deal that they can just about afford, meaning they can't save any money, meaning after the 2 years the only choice they have is to tie themselves down with another finance deal or have no means of transportation.

It's this whole idea of slowly bleeding cash from people, keeping them in debt with no real options, it just gets right under my skin.

or replace it with a new one - not everyone has the money for a new car outright - plus doing that you lose out in depreciation. a pcp is good only if you change your car everytime the warranty runs out or there abouts.

The whole point of PCP is you can generally afford a better car because of the cheaper monthly figure over normal HP. Also PCP only works if you're going to trade it in or walk away. Normally the ballon payment (guaranteed future value) is set low so when part ex comes you'll have enough for the next deposit. Also why would anybody want to own a deprecating asset?

The whole point of PCP is you can generally afford a better car because of the cheaper monthly figure over normal HP. Also PCP only works if you're going to trade it in or walk away. Normally the ballon payment (guaranteed future value) is set low so when part ex comes you'll have enough for the next deposit. Also why would anybody want to own a deprecating asset?

Well i'd think the depreciation is less than the monthly cost, I could quite easily go out and get a brand new £60'000 car on some sort of monthly deal, but i'd rather keep driving my 12yr old barge, which has cost me only around £200 this year to keep it road worthy and only cost me £3000 to start with 7 years ago.

I suppose it comes down to priorities, having the latest lump of metal on the drive just isn't my priority.

PCP works for some people. I know a lot who want to change cars every two years and if you do that with your own money buying your own car, depending upon type, it will cost you big time. And there is also the risk of change, my wife had an MGF TF which went wrong just as MG went bust. A £14k car at two years old lost 50% of its value.

With PCP they budget x £s per month and know what it will cost for that car in total.

I like owning mine, but I can see how others like a better car than their neighbours for similar money to buying per month

Sometimes it's not about a better car, badge snobbery etc, it's just about reliability, (and warranty)

I've done both, I've had lease Audi's and BMW's and I've done both regular second hand cars and bangernomics second hand cars; either of the latter two are fine if you have access to other transport in emergencies. (Hard, though not impossible to count a Westfield as a back up car!)

Im back to a lease deal, as I literally cannot be without transport, either for business or personal stuff. Though I. This case I've gone for a business deal on a pickup as it gave by far and away the best value for a big load lugger, yet still had five seats and reasonable comfort.

I've just been out to the USA and one of the guys I was meeting with was Ex TESLA commercial manager. Great cars but built at a loss. and on a slightly strange "speculative" business model