Mallory Park Track Day (31/10/2015)

lewis

Last minute I know as I only wanted to go in the dry and it is forecast to be sunny all day.

I've booked with Javelin for tomorrow in case anybody else is around near Leicester tomorrow too.

I can't make this, but one for the future. I've never really thought about doing Mallory, is it any good?

We went last month had a great day thought the circuit suited our pretty low powered Westfield well , not the biggest of circuits but never felt over crowded on the track. I guess it depends on the organiser is but only negative was there was a lot of race cars out there that day.

I've never been. It is a very short track though.

My car is low powered so will hopefully do well. Will get a video of a lap and get a bit more notice next time :)

It's not a bad track for a play. Gerards can be a front left tyre eater so keep an eye on that throughout the day! Also could be worth overfilling your oil a touch (couple of hundred ml is plenty) to help with surge round there :yes: Enjoy!

• Like 1

Gerrards shows up badly baffled fuel tanks as well.  It's only 0.9 miles around the cct. but good fun.    Make sure you arrive on time or you won't get into the paddock, only way in is across the track.

• Like 1

This was a fun day. Not many cars there so plenty of space and didn't need to look behind as much as usual. Most cars were again faster than me, except for one, a Mercedes ML55 AMG SUV!! :(

I managed to spin off once, at the exit of the first corner - Gerard's. But no contact and no damage, just a log of mud down both sides. I also lost power to my head lights so I had to leave slightly early to get home before dark.

And the last problem was my oil pressure seems to be going low over 3.5k rpm. My gauge isn't really configured yet but with engine off it reads 0.6. With engine on and on idle it reads 0.2. At Snetterton it always read 0.2. Now it gets to 0.3 and 0.4 and once 0.5, so that seems close to the same pressure when the engine is off!

There were a couple of bad crashes. The first one was a MK Indy with a bike engine. Seemed to go straight on at a corner and the front passenger side went into the barriers. Damage was pretty bad, chassis bent, wishbones, steering rack and track rod ends snapped, exhaust bent, exhaust manifold snapped off engine headers/mounts. Inside the cockpit was OK however and both occupants were OK.

Second was a M3 that really lost on the exit of the first corner and ended up hitting the inside barrier and flipped tail over nose a few times before resting on its side. Every panel was destroyed and the wheel that had impact lost most of its spokes. Again he had a roll cage and walked away with no injuries.

Here's my car home and scuttle removed to investigate the wiring:

20151031_173754.jpg

Crikey - that's a lot of 'action'! Certainly not normal for a track day...

What oil are you running? I'd be tempted to fit a mechanical oil pressure gauge (something like this: http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/gauges/tim-oil-pressure-gauge-mechanical) - I've had issues with electrical ones in the past. It will screw straight into the standard port on the head.

Oil pressure will drop as the oil gets hotter and also as it gets older, so if you are going to use the car on track frequently, switching to a 5w50 instead of a 5w40 (for example) will help a little with maintaining pressure when everything is very hot.

I'm running 5w30 at the moment, maybe that's the issue. No more track days this year so plenty of time to get to the bottom of it.

Ah cool, try something a bit thicker, definitely. I know some of the race cars will run 'thin' oil like that to squeeze out the last few bhp, but they will have all fresh components and likely slightly tighter tolerances to allow this. I run 5w50 or 10w60 to ensure good pressure / reliability. You'll need an absolute minimum of about 45-50psi to stop the bearings contacting the crank at full revs, and the oil jets open (they activate at 40psi).

• Like 1

Great information Adam! Will get the oil swapped and a proper sensor on the block!

I do. And I still have the sensor you sent to fit. Can't get at it with the engine in the car easily.

BLiNK recommend 5W-40 Fully Synthetic in their engines