Temporary insurance for a 23 year old to drive abroad?

TrophyJem

My eldest son, who is 23 and has 5 years no claims, has decided to join us on an upcoming holiday in Spain and he wants to be able to drive our car on the journey home (2L diesel Zafira).

I'm with Saga insurance and had checked at the time of taking the policy that I could add him as a temporary driver, but they are now saying they will not add under 25's.

I've searched for temporary cover for him, but as well as wanting a huge heap of cash to cover him, his driving has to start and end in the UK, but he's flying out to join us mid trip.

Its a crazy system as he could be 25 and just passed his test and they would insure him, but he gets tarred with the young driver brush despite having 5 years no claims.

I think I've exhausted all my options, but before I give up I thought I would ask the WSCC collective just in case you have any ideas?

Cheers

Jem

Speak with A plan and see if they can help

Unfortunately they couldn't help as A-plan don't offer temporary cover themselves.

Tried this with my son in law, too much to shell out so didn't bother.

I have found that I can get a different full year policy with me as the main driver and my son as a named driver.

So what to stop me using this new policy for a week whilst we are on holiday and then ringing and cancelling it before their 14 day cancellation cutoff? They will charge me and admin fee and for 2 weeks worth of insurance.

My current insurance company want to charge too much for me to cancel my current policy.

Is it legal to have two insurance policies on one car?

Is it legal to have two insurance policies on one car?

My word, what a can of worms that one is! Some say it's legal for one person to have two policies on one car, some say it isn't!

Two drivers each having their own policy on one car is OK though, why can't he get his insurers to cover the trip? (Or does he have five years NCB, but no current policy running?)

My word, what a can of worms that one is! Some say it's legal for one person to have two policies on one car, some say it isn't!

Two drivers each having their own policy on one car is OK though, why can't he get his insurers to cover the trip? (Or does he have five years NCB, but no current policy running?)

He already has his own car with his 5 years no claims assigned to that car, so he can't use that against an insurance policy on my car. A policy in his name to drive my car is just silly money, where as a policy in my name with him as a named driver is not too bad. It's just that my current provider has introduced a minimum age of 25 and want silly money for me to cancel my policy.  

Insurance is a pyramid scam. Stuff like this just goes to show how corrupt it is. Hope you sort it out.

As I have less that nothing to do I really like the cold callers calling at the mo. convinced one the ambulance chasers the other day that i lost a leg in a car accident, you could hear them getting excited and choosing what options to have their new BMW

As I have less that nothing to do I really like the cold callers calling at the mo.

I normally tell them that their information is incorrect, "I'm actually planning the accident for next Wednesday, so if you call me Thursday......."

Sometimes you can hear their brain click out of neutral......

You can have 2 policies on one car, house, anything in fact but you can only claim on one policy.  

• Like 1

But again, that doesn't seem to always be the case either! (Don't misunderstand me, I'm not talking about fraud attempts).

There do seem to be people out there reporting that they had two policies on a car, for whatever reason, and that in a third party insurance claim against them, both insurers were liable, and split the claim between them. 

Every time one you think you've got a handle on it, up pops someone else with personal experiance to the contrary!

Personally, I'd ring Saga and ask if they would accept another policy on the car and explain why. (And you want the answer in writing, at the very least). Then I'd try and hunt down a second company that was prepared to insure as well. (Actually I wouldn't, I'd tell my son he's old enough to sort it out himself if he's that desperate to drive, but then that's why I don't have kids!)

Maybe a silly question, but has he looked at his own policy?  All my policies allow me to drive a car not insured by me (as long as it is insured!).  No need to be a named party on their insurance policies, although the cover will be only 3rd party (instead of comprehensive if you are a named driver).

Maybe a silly question, but has he looked at his own policy?  All my policies allow me to drive a car not insured by me (as long as it is insured!).  No need to be a named party on their insurance policies, although the cover will be only 3rd party (instead of comprehensive if you are a named driver).

That's quite normal but the 3rd. party only bit can be a worry to some people, understandably.

No third part insurance for under 25's and it doesn't cover you for driving abroad.

Really?  At 23 he is not even allowed to drive other cars?  What a bizarre industry is the insurance world :(