A new way to change your oil

bigals

Have just watched this on the BBC, looks like a new way to tie in oil suppliers with car manufactures as I cant imagine it will be cheep to buy a refill but as with printer cartridges I am sure someone will work out a way to refill the cartridge without having to go back to the original manufacture

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34541834

That video explained nothing... Looks a bit like a dry sump system that uses a plug in cartridge as a reservoir??

Just read a few things about it and it looks well nifty. It could be interesting for a car like ours if indeed it does work a bit like a dry sump.

Ah well we can all buy Astons for our daily driver then.....

It Is Castrol who are very good at showing manufacturers how to save time on a production line. Imagine if all they ever have to do is just plug in a box of oil on the production line? from what I have been told by Castrol it is not cheap and will be sometime before it becomes mainstream if at all.

I'd rather have hot oil running down my sleeve when undoing the sump plug,  traditionalist me.

• Like 3

Of course the time to drain is not that important as you can be doing something else in the meantime and then come back to it when empty.

There are already cars in production that don't need oil changes. The cost saving comes with zero servicing, not in trips to a garage to change a cartridge.

Which ones are these Windy? I am not aware of any but my Volvo has no dipstick and has never needed a top up in 47000 miles so not totally out of the question.

When I was with Castrol speaking the other day, they are very good at getting Castrol in first fill. look under the new Mini bonnet for example, they see this as a way to get a much bigger share at first fill and onwards in the aftermarket. I guess the example of a printer cartridge is a good one, but will people really do that on a car?

Nissan leaf doesn't need an oil or filter change :-)

But it does need an engine :-)