Zetec in a Pre Lit Car

garytipping

Hi All,

I'm trying to work out which engine and gearbox combination to fit to my Ali bodied pre lit car. Although I'm building it with a very 'old school' look, one option would be to fit a new Zetec with either an MT75 or type 9 box.

Has anyone fitted a Zetec to a pre lit car?  By measurement it looks like it should fit, and with an MT75 box it looks like the gear stick ends up in about the right place.

Any thoughts.

Cheers

Gary

Thanks Chris, I'm not sure either, might have to use a type 9.

Gary

Given that you'd previously said that your pre-lit is one of the early cars with triumph components and a herald? axle and diff had you thought about if these are capable of coping with the extra power and torque from a zetec which will likely be twice what the drivetrain waw originally designed for?

Also, while a modern engine might be understandingly tempting from a reliability viewpoint, I do wonder if it would have a greater resale value as a car true to its roots with a period engine, rather than an updated version.  I'd only say this about a pre-lit, rather than a narrow SE or SEi.  It may be worth more or it may not, but it's something worth considering.  What you have, an unbuilt pre-lit, is so rare that when it's completed will be of high interest, so getting it right is important.

• Like 2

Also, while a modern engine might be understandingly tempting from a reliability viewpoint, I do wonder if it would have a greater resale value as a car true to its roots with a period engine, rather than an updated version. I'd only say this about a pre-lit, rather than a narrow SE or SEi. It may be worth more or it may not, but it's something worth considering. What you have, an unbuilt pre-lit, is so rare that when it's completed will be of high interest, so getting it right is important.

Totally agree with Scott on this. Although it's a kit car IMO some of the very early Westfield's are now also classics. Whilst I understand the urge of many builders to upgrade, fit modern engines and chase big power, the original ethos of these cars was to be light, simple and offer driving pleasure.

If I was building your car I'd be tempted to go for something more in keeping with the age of the car and personally would be looking to install a tuned A-series engine mated to an MG box.

• Like 1

Thanks All, great response. My first thoughts were to go for period mechanics but then I started looking at the modern alternatives.

On reflection I think you're probably right and it should be crossflow or A series.

Thanks for the link to the crossflow, I've sent a message re a 'buy it now'. Also have a lead on a tuned A series.

Thanks again for the input, much appreciated.

Regards

Gary

Another thought on the same lines as Mark's comments above, but don't forget, it's not just the Triumph parts that may have been designed for period power and weight components. Westfields chassis, even in the Ford variants have gained strength and extra bracing over the years too.

Hi All,

Thanks for all your thoughts on this. I 'won' the crossflow on ebay. Now the real fun begins!

Cheers

Gary

Hi All,

Thanks for all your thoughts on this. I 'won' the crossflow on ebay. Now the real fun begins!

Cheers

Gary

I was watching the end of the auction. Congratulations, another mighty crossflow in a Westy!

Can't wait to see some pictures of the build.

Cheers, I'll start posting some soon as I've made some progress. Just managed to remove the remains of the 30 year old protective film from the Ali panels. I had a good tip from a local bodyshop and soaked it in petrol for a couple of days.

Regards

Gary