Crossflow Block - What do you think

Kevin (Mr T)

To be honest that block would not scare me if I could be sure it would bore. Seeing as the guy is based in Ilford, you could suggest that if Burtons confirm it will bore okay then you will buy it.

Once that block is stripped and cleaned it will look no different to many I have rebuilt. The big but for me is to build any crossflow to a high spec will cost big money. What spec is your current engine?

P.S I would never buy a block without seeing it and being able to clean the top face to check for cracks

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

My biggest issue is that I have absolutely no idea what spec my current engine is and would love to.

I guess that's why the more I think about it, the more I'm thinking I should pull it apart and see what's inside.

If your car is running well my advice is leave alone, unless you are desperate to do it. Once stripped it is straight forward to work out what has been done, but that doesn't mean that it will be what you actually need.

You are spoilt for people to take it to around there if you want it worked on, Vulcan, Burtons, Harris (HPE) are all good starting points.

As I said to do anything right is not cheap and you can easily be into 4 figures on a crossflow. It is a great engine and suits the car well, but if it is power you want then to me it is a no brainer to go modern.

I just looked on the Locost site and there is a guy selling an unfinished MK Indy. The engine in it he bought for £800 with the box from a very good member. If you click the link, might have to wait 48 hours, you can see the spec is not too bad. Might be worth seeing if he would split the car. add pasted below

Life, being as it is is rather preventing me from finding time and money to do anything with the toy, that and I've accidentally found myself in a situation where I need a stock trailer and a farm quad in ASAP.

MK indy (bog standard)

Crossflow (spec here), 907 manifold, MK silencer

Type 9 box

All the bodywork, 2 noses, 2 scuttles, both wide and narrow front wings

Wilwoods on the front, drums rear.

Full set of VDO instruments

Sparco steering wheel, snap-off QR (2 of, long story), collapsible boss

Cobra roadster seats

All main lighting gubbins

premier loom

Pro Race 1.2s, R888s (probably past their use by date, but in perfect nick, been kept in the spare room)

As it sits right now, it'll run, drive, steer and stop, but just needs a lot of time and love to get it to the point it needs to be.

It's pretty much all there to finish, but I *know* it needs new stalks and needs side repeaters and mirrors.

Rubbish pics here (apparently the kid has been in the garage again)

I'd really like around the £2200 mark for it, but I'm very much open to offers or trades.