Crossflow Block - What do you think

Kevin (Mr T)

Looks horrific!

Needs a full strip and acid dip/chemical clean to restore it (which all adds to the cost) and I'd be very concerned about how much of rebore those bores will need to get back to fresh metal.

Personally I'd keep looking...

• Like 1

Thanks, noted.

Proper dilemma this is. Been offered a good rebuilt engine for £1250 that just needed a bit of assembly, but that kind of misses the point. I want to do it myself to learn.

I will keep looking and keep seeking advise on anything I see.

Yep just keep looking, I bought several good crossflows, well specced and an easy rebuild for less than £500 not more than two years ago. They will come up, just keep searching. Try some of the Ford forums, uphill racers, locost builders etc.

Why don't you get the engine that is mostly built and if it is better than your engine fit it into the car, and strip your engine. If not strip it anyway and learn from that or combine bits of both of the engines.

• Like 1

Why don't you get the engine that is mostly built and if it is better than your engine fit it into the car, and strip your engine. If not strip it anyway and learn from that or combine bits of both of the engines.

That's not a bad shout Steve. Only issue is explaining to Mrs T why I'm shelling out another £1.25k lump sum, having bought the car and almost immediately spent another £2k+ on cosmetics. Was hoping to spread the load by buying a cheapish lump and investing in parts gradually over the winter!

That's not a bad shout Steve. Only issue is explaining to Mrs T why I'm shelling out another £1.25k lump sum, having bought the car and almost immediately spent another £2k+ on cosmetics. Was hoping to spread the load by buying a cheapish lump and investing in parts gradually over the winter!

Don't worry about the Mrs.   She'll come round eventually, they all do.   Maybe she'll appreciate a nice treat from your goodself and forget about the car, for a while at least.

What's the spec of the one you've been offered for £1250?

What's the spec of the one you've been offered for £1250?

It reads

1700 engine that is currently stripped for inspection and rebuild, it doesnt need a lot of work, just a hone of the cylinder bores and new rings fitting and it will be good to go, its a 1700 with 1300 pistons, pocketed to suit the high lift cam, its running a kent 234 cam dialled in on duplex vernier. removeable timing cover.  its got a big vavle burton power unleaded cylinder head with steel posts and solid spacers, comes with flywheel and clutch, high pressure oil pump, water pump is fine, no leaks, there is a brand new alloy thermostat housing to go with the engine

It sounds good, but is a big chunk of cash given what I've invested in the Westy so far in 7 months!

Don't worry about the Mrs.   She'll come round eventually, they all do.   Maybe she'll appreciate a nice treat from your goodself and forget about the car, for a while at least.

I just don't fancy sleeping in the lock-up, even for a few nights, the roofs got a bit of a leak!

I'd say that's a bit steep for a project, fine if it was fully built up and ready to go but a bit much for something needed bore work and rings. I'd also be slightly hesitant of a 1700 that needs a hone and rings - if it wore the last rings through then it may well be out of tolerance - just a few things with that listing that don't sit right for me. The money is probably in the head, as long as there's no play in the guides and the valves are ok, but even still, if it were me, I wouldn't be convinced.

• Like 1

Also if you want to do a xflow properly it should really have forged pistons, then its fit and forget for many miles. Without if you rev it over 6k the pistons will eventually crack and allow the combustion gasses to pass by.

I think I'm almost convincing myself to play in the car as it is until Feb time and then pull the engine out and see what's inside.

March sees my 60th birthday arrive and I can't think of anything Mrs T would rather go present shopping for than a list of Xflow parts from Burton!

• Like 1

To be honest that block would not scare me if I could be sure it would bore. Seeing as the guy is based in Ilford, you could suggest that if Burtons confirm it will bore okay then you will buy it.

Once that block is stripped and cleaned it will look no different to many I have rebuilt. The big but for me is to build any crossflow to a high spec will cost big money. What spec is your current engine?

P.S I would never buy a block without seeing it and being able to clean the top face to check for cracks

Jeff