Birkett 6 hour relay - Silversone 24th Oct

cast iron

Myself and a team from the NSSCC with sevens are running in the Birkett this year, anyone else going along?

Yup, I'm there within a team of MK1 MX-5s :)

Have you got a bigger tank to go in? We should be able to do 90 min stints... :d

I'm fitting electric reverse, and doing 10 mins backwards on battery for each stint

• Like 1

Yup, I'm there within a team of MK1 MX-5s :)

Have you got a bigger tank to go in? We should be able to do 90 min stints... :d

Ninety minutes will be a fitness test !

Naaahh! Did 55 mins at Race of Remembrance last year and felt great afterwards, MX5s are almost too easy to drive :)

Naaahh! Did 55 mins at Race of Remembrance last year and felt great afterwards, MX5s are almost too easy to drive :)

You can't be trying hard enough ☺

• Like 1

That is a distinct possibility! Alright, lap times were pretty much all within a second of (or faster than) qualifying though, shows how easy the cars are to pedal!

we are in garage 3, team number 9 "Flaming sevens", sharing the garage with "Dick Dastardlys"

• Like 1

Awesome - sounds like info packs have now been sent out... need to get in touch with our lead driver to get some info! Will pop and down say hello :yes:

Are you coming back to RoR this year?

We had in mind to enter the Birkett with the Westfield, but are running a Fun Cup car in RoR instead. 

Yes - but as team 'manager' (loose term!) instead of driving. Should be a good 'un! See you there :t-up:

I'm the CFO at Mission Motorsport and co-founded the charity, so I'm the person your drivers have been paying for their slots!

• Like 1

I thought you were heavily involved Rich - I've been making payments on their behalf, still chasing them! Haha.

How did you get on gents? Were you 'Six Sevens'?

We (team Egg) were running 2nd (on handicap, 37th out of 68 on the road, having been 'seeded' 61st) at 4 and a half hours, then messed up a stop during the safety car, and the final driver went on to fire it in the gravel, lose loads of time, then came in, went back out again, then got a puncture :( This all meant I got an extra ~20 mins to go on top of the 90 I did earlier in the day, but was a bit gutted as we were in with a shout of the win until that point. Still, 9th at our first attempt, not too bad.

Never mind, we concluded out that the Egg came before the Chicken (our two team names) and it was still hands down the most fun thing I've done in a car, the rain really made the day for me. Constantly driving round the outside of 'fast' cars on full wets when we were using worn out £30 road tyres, then sliding all over the place in front of them was a highlight, haha. We will be back next year!

we were rubbish, dead last for most of the event!

turns out one of our team is the current 750MC endurance champion and hasn't lost a race this year, although his "Donington" times were similar to ours. ends up our handicap was bl**** massive.

but what an event, Not sure I can race at Croft again lol after experiencing the Silverstone facilities