Wheeler Dealers Honda S2000

CraigHew

Is it me or is to original owner a plank. Sells it for £3k, when the bids on Ebay were well above that and they have the wheels done, paint a few brackets, clean the Vetec system powder coat the rocker cover and polish the headlights, then he buys it back for £7k?

Was it made up for TV?

I fully agree, very dodgy.

I think 7k was too high anyway for its mileage.

it was also totally suss that the guy was checking the paint job out at the end when he bought it back. WD didn't admit to spraying it but the way he looked at it was indicative.

one final point, Mike Brewer has been fuming on Twitter as the buyer has slapped it back on Ebay. it's currently bidding at £7500.

made for TV I suspect...

I wouldn't get too hung up on the "checking the paint" pose, I think the director gets 90% of the buyers to do exactly the same thing at the end of the episode. You see it all the time on there, regardless of whether the car has had paint, and including ones that definitely didn't have it in the area being examined.

It will certainly have had a machine polish, it may have had paint either on WD or afterwards. (More work was done independently after the episode, it appears - the owners written English is a bit tricky to follow at times! Which doesn't help when you're trying to work out what happened.

• Like 1

But my yes, is it ever over priced, even with the to halo effect, it's still a 120k mile plus car, with an engine that's had oil starvation and a (possibly) suspect re-build on an engine notoriously difficult, in some areas, to rebuild well. It's also a pre-face lift model.

its all put on for tv. i read recently on another forum that all the buyers are actors and its all set up. but at teh end of the day it is a tv show after all and still makes for good viewing. better than watching soaps anyways

the S2Ki boys didn't care for it much

i cant believe that the fix was so simple. you spend all that money on an engine build and then a crappy little seal is all that stops it working doesnt add up? still nice looking car at the end of it.

i liked the way they slipped in the usual new looking types and a new set of brakes that they skipped over in one sentence.

I laughed when they spent £100 a wheel refurbishing wheels that you can't even give away on the S2000 forum.

The standard wheels are ten a penny and would get a full set for £100 odd to replace the tatty ones.

Shows its all for show.

Car did look nice finished though to be fair.

Dave

...yes, but it's got to make good TV too, as it was, it was a good way to incorporate a segment on how diamond cut finish wheels are produced. 

...yes, but it's got to make good TV too, as it was, it was a good way to incorporate a segment on how diamond cut finish wheels are produced. 

i found that bit interesting and was surprised they put the powder coat on and then cut it all back. i would have expected the powder coat to just chip off?

Maybe it's a sharpness thing (of the diamond cutter tool), combined with the quality of the powder coat? (Along with feed rates etc of course).

Again, with the tyres and brakes, they did mention them, (and the tyres were particularly cheap and nasty, by all accounts!) Because it's something that's been shown a lot before, they seemed to move on quickly to cover things they've not shown. The same with the valve timing, which I know a few hoped for more detail on. Instead, we got interesting new stuff, like the insides of an eclectic power steering rack.

Good demonstration of how effective a re-polish following a wet sand can be on modern projector type lighting outer covers, too.

Repainting the cam cover red was a mistake IMO.  Would have looked much better black (but not original though).

Rory's Dad