B Road Special, Peak District, Sun 18th Oct

Julie Hall - WSCC AO Representative

Meet at 10.30am The Wheatsheaf, Baslow.

A repeat of last years great route along the Peak District B roads, aiming to finish at Ashbourne mid afternoon. Last year we managed a photo shoot outside Tissington Hall, good news for anyone needing pictures for the 2016 calendar. 

All welcome.

The weather forecast? I have got no idea, it's going to be sunny until some miserable meteorologist tells me different.

So, providing it's not tipping it down, who is coming? 

• Like 1

I'm not .. :cry:.

sunny Bulgaria

Thanks for the keen, quick reply Russ, this will be a good one to welcome you to the Peak District area, great scenery and fun roads, a winning mixture. Sorry you can't come Trevor, I am sure the Bulgaria sunshine is not a bad alternative.

As the starting point is different to last year, I am going to take us up past Riber Castle above Matlock. I have tried the road for the first time today and it is steep, tight and twisty BUT it is narrow, so we will have to be very careful. One corner was a first gear job! Phew! I thought it might be worth a look!

We will be there as usual!

Do you want me to post on Facebook or am I still sacked?

One more chance young man, mess it up and I will have to employ another Facebook Manager  :)

Yes, a balmy 12 degrees and getting brighter in the afternoon, I'll take that.

Great run out, really good to meet you all :-D

Got a bit damp on the way home though!

Ditto ^^^^.

That said it did dry out the further north I went. Was glad of the shower really as it'll soften all the dung that Julie's cow poo magnet found (which incidentally had to be every dollop of cow poop that could possibly occupy space on a road in Derbyshire ever since the beginning of time).

• Like 3

Agreed, it was a good run out but very eventful and lots of cow poo everywhere!!!

Not a dull moment today, nothing went to plan and then it rained, but it all turned out good in the end. We met at the Wheatsheaf, thank you to MartynV and Sue, Tricky and Russ for coming. 

Bottom's up Tricky

B%20road%20special%20part%201%202015%200

After a massive breakfast, teas and chats we went to start the cars. No, not today. Martyn had no electricity in his ignition barrel, Glen carries half of his garage in my car so Martyn managed to fix it and eventually we got on our way. Don't mention the steering lock here Julie, that would be cruel  :p.

Martyn's new car key

Off we went through Chatsworth

After a fuel stop we set off, carefully, up the vertical twists (only a little twitch on the back end here), which I thought were amazing, past Riber Castle and back past the petrol station. I thought as we circled back past the turning  'ooh we could go round again' but no, keep going.

We had a pose through Matlock Bath, then it was up the Via Gellia road and along the back roads to the biker's cafe in Monyash, hooting and waving at the 2 Caterhams on the way. After all the care on the difficult road it was a big twitch on the back end here, gulp.

No, not today, the cafe was full, so we had a quick pee and discovered that we had a driver with a kinky nature amongst us. Fancy leaving the toilet seat up in the ladies, you naughty boy  :p. Then we went down Crowdecote and to Hulme End for lunch with a bus in the middle of the road here and a motorbike in the middle of the road there. I can't believe our cars got there in one piece today.

Hulme End Tea Junction

Tricky's new wheels and tyres, looking good. Sue cleaning the car in the background, well that was a waste of time, more cow poo to come yet.

With the delay's and such like we had run out of time so the second part of the run will have to save for another day, We diverted up the 13 bends, I hope you counted them Russ, where it decided to rain. Tricky and Russ headed off home and we headed back to the dry south for a photo shoot at Tissington Hall.

Ending up at The Bentley Brook, Ashbourne to calm down and discuss the merits of mud flaps. Not finished yet, the way home - a drive down the Via Gellia road in the dark, it is not for the faint hearted.

Next week is the Lancaster Bomber run, so perhaps the weekend after we will come back and do the second half of this route. I hope Martyn, that you get the car sorted OK. Right, time to put some pictures in for the calendar, don't forget to put yours in!

After a massive breakfast, teas and chats we went to start the cars. No, not today. Martyn had no electricity in his ignition barrel, Glen carries half of his garage in my car so Martyn managed to fix it and eventually we got on our way. Don't mention the steering lock here Julie, that would be cruel  :p.

OK Julie you could have left that bit out……………anyway the confession is that after I hot wired the ignition I then proceeded to launch into traffic with the ignition key in my pocket, only realising my mistake when the steering lock clicked on halfway through the manoeuvre leaving us heading into oncoming traffic. A rapid stop followed together with a scrabbling for key to free the steering and a sharp exit up the road with face same colour as car  :blush:

Otherwise a good day but I must say it was eventful as after my indiscretion there were some skidding westfields, slow moving traffic of every type, grid locked road works, very wet rain and did anyone mention the cow poo  :angry:

After the earlier incidents a calm and relaxing picture.

image_zps94n8una1.jpg