zetec or duratec 2.0/2.3/2.5

congorobot

I built my westfield se about 10 years ago, on a budget as I was a student at the time. It has 2.0 zetec with gsxr 600 tbs and megasquirt ecu. After a few teething problems with ecu settings, and with the help of Fatbaldbloke it has performed faultlessly since. The car has mainly been used for road but has had a couple of visits to the Nurburgring, the last was this August where I managed 27 laps over a weekend. Coming from this I now feel that if I am to keep the car I want to improve both power and grip as I plan much more track use. I have a budget of circa 10K but am unsure what route engine wise to follow. Other than engine/ecu/fuel delivery I want to fit a new gear box, roll bar, fuel tank, compomotive cxr and tyres. I am now unsure as to if I should stay with a zetec to reduce cost as things like engine mounts/exhaust could be re-used or if I should sell my engine/gearbox/ecu/tbs/exhaust as a job lot and go the duratec route. If I do go the duratec route then what capacity engine is best? I have read conflicting information on the web. The higher capacity 2.3 and 2.5 being more about torque and less rpm.   

I have no interest in selling the car and buying another although I realise this probably makes more financial sense.

I was just about to suggest changing the car, but then I read the last line of your message, haha. I was in a similar boat to you and did change the car entirely, it made a lot of sense in the end...

What sort of power / torque are you aiming for? That may help work out which route to go down engine-wise.

Hmm, probably just a set of cams and some headwork in your current engine would do that job? I actually used to have Ian's old car, the power delivery was lovely.

From memory a ~200bhp 2.0L Duratec setup would probably eat about half of your budget...

The car has never been professionally tuned as I dont know of anywhere in Scotland that does megasquirt. That is part of the attraction of going down a new engine route with known brands of TBs and ECU. Also If I am going to spend this money I have the feeling it might be better to start with a new engine. I would also thought the gsxr tbs would not be sufficient in diameter (38mm) for this sort of power.  The zetec I fitted when the car was built still runs fine, but was secondhand when I got it. I would hate to spend money on head-work for it to go pop shortly afterwards. 

Well not really. A new engine yes, however, I still wonder which would be best to go for a zetec or duratec as per 1st post.

2.0 litre Zetec with 1.8 ported head and fast cams.

Would be reliable, easily do over 200bhp and be the cheaper route.

(Oh... I have an unported 1.8 head for sale :p )

I've been told it increases the compression ratio.

One of the main consideration in a swap from Zetec to Duratec is that the exhausts exit on opposite sides. As long as mega power is not whats wanted it may be better to stick to Zetec.

If may be worth contacting Raceline, Burton, Dunnell etc to understand the options and costs with the Zetec. 

I've been told it increases the compression ratio.

i believe so.

what do you feel like you want to do? tuning your zetec (silvertop or blacktop) seems like the obvious answer and i would say cheaper than going to duratec as you wont have to buy new exhausts etc, cut new bodywork holes etc.

I have just gone from a silvertop to an ST170 and it has been and still is a massive ball ache.

edt: given what rhett has just said and that youhave not had yours set up on a rolling road what about first of all looking into finding a place that is good and will do your setup and booking that. you might just find that a few£££s on that and a hotel for the night will give you what you want just bear in mind that any work like this will eventually require a session to optimise it anyway.

I wouldnt be so keen and fast to ditch what you have already. one of our members andylowe runs a st170 motor on bike carbs with a megasquirt and his car goes like a train.

one of our members andylowe runs a st170 motor on bike carbs with a megasquirt and his car goes like a train.

Am I not right in thinking that to get 200 - 220 bhp I would need different TBs as the gsxr600 ones are 38mm dia?

Am I not right in thinking that to get 200 - 220 bhp I would need different TBs as the gsxr600 ones are 38mm dia?

sorry i cant remember which ones he has but his car really does shift well. im not suggesting go st170 by any means or that you shouldn't look at upgrades or engine change but i think that you can achieve real and distinct results without spending a fortune and then use 6K of that 10 for tires/fuel and trackdays :)

i do think that going from zetec to duratec will be expensive as you will pretty much have to replace everything you have on the car engine wise at the moment.