New TV time

Arm

My son is the expert, but he's said that only Sony and LG make LED screens, and it shows.  His offices are solid LG, and that was his predecessors decision.

I'm still SD, and its waning, but HD is not up to full strength, and 4k has very few sources, but were will it be in 3 years.  eg 3d sets are being sold off cheap as it never caught on.  Will 4k be overtaken by 8K?  or will it fail as it uses too much resources.  Place your bets

One thing is for sure, there won't be any 4k or 8k TV broadcasts over Freeview, the bandwidth required is too much, about 4 times the data of HD TV.   Even the HD channels are not being broadcasted at their full potential at the moment.   Unless you have internet based TV channels the new technology is not going to useful to you.   A good  HD TV is what you need if you are just watching terrestrial Freeview 40in to 50in.   Panasonic, Sony are the best to go for followed by Samsung, LG.  

The good thing about all this modern technology is, it's getting cheaper.

LG tend to last longer and have a better picture quality. They use something called IPS which gives a better colour and a clearer image.

Samsung and Sony don't have this.

4k is very sparse at present, will be a while before you get true 4k. Sky can only broadcast in 720 at present and not full HD.

You will need 25mb fibre to your router to have 4k

Panasonic or Sony luv, can't go wrong. Not sure about 4k but then I went all out and bought a 3D tv and that didn't really take off and we have probably only watched about 4 3D films since I bought it years ago!

I'm a Sony man but thats more a lifestyle choice.

Being 100% honest / controversial here asking a car forum about TV's is asking for CDO levels of detailed argument. If you go main brands as in Sony, LG, Sammy or Panni and you do not run side by side comparisons I challange any body to tell the difference except regards on screen menus.

Its like arguing over socket sets, tyres or oil. Much of a muchness and v. personal.

My advice would be get the smallest screen you would be comfortable with as the bigger the screen the easier to see the annoying little glitches and artefacts. And if you end up watching streamed PooToob stuff or downloads, the bigger screens will look poo.

Avoid 4k, as folk have said, not enough sources for content.

1,000% yes to Richer Sounds, never had bad advice fom them.

And here is the possibly silly bit of advice... Go to Richer Sounds and ask for the last gen model of the current version. You will not tell the difference and you will either save a bucket load or get way more TV for the same cash.

We got a Panasonic CS520 50 inch yesterday, not 4k. Putting it up today.

:yes: John :yes:

All main brands have excellent TVs

& poor ones.

I study the reviews, as the only difference I can usually tell is quality of the audio.

as the only difference I can usually tell is quality of the audio.

Doh... I utterly missed that and a really good comment from OS, problem is I almost never use the onboard speakers as I use AV amps or wifi headphones.

One other possible curve ball is response rate if you are a saddo gamer (as am I). I specifically selected a Sony KDL-32W706 for my dedicated gaming TV.

When I bought it (from Richers), it had the fastest response of any domestic TV bar none. Only dedicated monitors where faster. But again for watching films that isnt important

I generally feed the audio through my HiFi

I have a LG and love it but i would not bother with 4k it will be years before they start broadcasting in 4k. How long has HD been around about 12 years and you only get a handfull of full HD programes. You will probly buy a new tv in a few years,because there getting cheaper and tecnology moves on.

BT should have launched their 4K service on the 2nd of August - though I believe the actual 4K content mainly seems to be sport at the moment. Netflix and Amazon Prime are also running some 4K programming too, though just like the early days of HD, actual native 4K content will be limited at first, no doubt.

Sky is trying to get its service and new Q box launched soon, before Christmas, at least.

As a matter of interest, my new Panasonic 'smart' TV was refusing to log on to Youtube yesterday and returned a network error code. It was connected and would operate iPlayer correctly, but it seems that Youtube and Netflix are routed through Panasonic's own servers and they were intermittent yesterday and Saturday. The avforum found Belgian and Danish viewers with the same problem. Weird!  :suspect:

Done it. Looked at loads and the Samsung 4k 48" suited us.

Pic is brilliant on amazon prime 4k. Still bl**** good on sky hd.