New TV time

Arm

Hi

What a bewildering array of TVs on the market !

Happy with Panasonic or Sony or Samsung upto approx £600

48 to 50 ". Internet and WiFi.

Should I go 4K ready ?

What are my options ?

Thanks

Arm

Having had a couple of 55 inch TVs that I just never got a really good picture on,  I would say go Sony. I did in the end and wish I had from the start. I am very fussy mind. Look out for clouding at the edges especially in a dimly lit room. 

4k depends on budget, but it's highly likely that 8k will become the broadcast standard missing 4k altogether. 

Another vote for Sony here.  I bought a 50" Sony Smart 3D TV (50W809CBU) recently and it's brilliant.  Didn't go for 4k. 

Having had a couple of 55 inch TVs that I just never got a really good picture on,  I would say go Sony. I did in the end and wish I had from the start. I am very fussy mind. Look out for clouding at the edges especially in a dimly lit room. 

4k depends on budget, but it's highly likely that 8k will become the broadcast standard missing 4k altogether.

When?

We looked yesterday funny enough as mother is currently looking for pretty much same budget/size . Currys have some pretty good deals on 43" 4k is currently possible with offers on , they seemed to of really come down in price.

One they caught our eye was LG 43UF680V has great reviews

When?

Now that's a how long is a piece of string question, but broadcasters are all talking about broadcasting / streaming 8K and having 8K capable equipment rather than 4K.

Yes I do work in the industry (not the consumer side).

Now that's a how long is a piece of string question, but broadcasters are all talking about broadcasting / streaming 8K and having 8K capable equipment rather than 4K.

Yes I do work in the industry (not the consumer side).

We're in the market for a TV (we don't have one at the moment), but I think 4k vs 1080p or whatever is overkill for us, but wouldn't want the lower def to be switched off...?

We're in the market for a TV (we don't have one at the moment), but I think 4k vs 1080p or whatever is overkill for us, but wouldn't want the lower def to be switched off...?

I think your new TV will be in TV heaven long before they switch off 1080 HD.

Lets face it they still broadcast SD (Standard definition) and you haven't been able to by an SD TV for some time 

• Like 1

Samsung ar emu preferred choice

I've just received a Samsung 65" 4K curved TV today, went from a 46" Flat, so it's quite a difference. Best thing to do, is to go into a shop and have a look at a few. See how you feel about the curved TV, but IMO it's only really noticeable on 65" upwards. most TV's in the showrooms are set to DEMO mode, which enhances all the colours, before you buy anything, ask them to put it back to normal and view a freeview HD channel to see if you're still as impressed. 

As for manufacturers, it's down to personal preference, but I think Samsung have come on leaps and bounds over the past 5 years and are the manufacturer to match. Also check out the like of AVForums, etc for reviews, there are some seriously knowledgeable people out there with the equipment to check true contrast ratios, colour spectrums, and lots of other things that are way over my head. 

EDITED to add, I bought my TV from Richer Sounds Newcastle, great service, price matched, 6 year warranty, and threw in a couple pairs of 3D specs which were not included as standard. :)

Costco have a Sony 48" at about £515 - with a five year warranty, couldn't resist.

I recently bought a 47" Panasonic Smart (WiFi and ethernet) and passive 3D (not really worth bothering with IMO) TV from Richer Sounds for £399. I couldn't resist either. :d

I wouldn't buy anything other than a Panasonic personally.  Great picture, and last for donkeys years.  Mines about 8 years old now, been through 2 house moves and have never felt the need to change it.  Maybe in a few years when 8k or whatever comes out it will get moved into the bedroom.  Folks also have a Panasonic, one of the first flat screens with a separate tuner box, must be going on for 12/13 years old now and its still as good as when it was new.

On the flip side a friend got 5 samsungs when they did a full house refit, and 2 of them have blown up.  And the 1 panasonic they got years before hand is still going.

The new curved ones look cool, until you wall mount them.