O/T Any Broadband Line Experts Here?

Stuart

IIRC I ran the monitoring software without any other programmes running. I also let it run non stop over a 24 then 48 hour period to see if the problem was time sensitive, possibly due to data traffic, or not, probably indicative of something physical. if your PC is flogging itself at high capacity levels then that might effect the response times of the monitoring pings. you can also fine tune the expected response times to help narrow things down a bit. the log files will show the duration of the ping fails, it's fairly arbitrary but long fail periods tend to suggest problem other than your pc.

run the software by itself for a day or two in the first instance

Thanks again Craig - I am away for 24 hours from tomorrow lunchtime so will leave it running whilst I'm gone and see what I get.  Will ethernet it to my router and ensure nothing else running.

If there are no (or very few) dropouts during that time, does that mean the problem is at my end?  PC has 3gb ram and is running Windows 7 so I can't see a bit of internet browsing maxing anything out.  Beginning to wonder if it's AV/firewall related

yes, start simple and build up. I would only suspect AV or firewall if you'd changed or updated either around the time you started seeing problems. having said that even a windows update can cause strange symptoms. as the pinging is measured in milliseconds, the log file should tell you how often your connection drops out. my issue, as with a previous post, was a physical line problem at the street cabinet box. the engineer transferred us to another twisted pair between the house and the street cabinet and service was resumed.

From what you have said so far there is nothing else you can do, apart from  doing a few regular speedtests on the BT speedtester so PlusNet can see how slow and unstable your connection is.

The DSLAM robot will re assess your line every day or two and give you the optimum speed for your line, so that is why you'll see a loss of synch at nightime for a few seconds, this is normal. 

You will have to badger PlusNet for an engineer to work on your line and improve the speeds to something like you had before.  The chances are they will send another router to see if that improves things but this is very unlikely,  make sure you also change the filter and lead at the same time.

Just seen an advert on TV, apparently they have award winning customer service :)

Ok, time to pester PlusNet then.  They do like messing the customer about as it does cost them to send an Openreach engineer out on a visit.