Suspension. How bad ?

kmd1154

Just fitted new coil over shocks all round. I thought the ones on my 1993 model looked a bit past their best but the car seemed to go round bends OK. I was out in it over the weekend and managed to ground the exhaust so maybe not. Anyway, with nothing more than a tape measure and some spanners the new units were fitted. Rears first, and rather than go for any specific setting, I just took up all the slack on the springs with the collars thinking once they're fitted I can adjust to ride height. Making sure the same number of threads were visible below the locking collar I put 3 clicks of damping and moved to the front.

Similar approach here, take up the spring slack with the same number of threads on each side and 3 clicks. As luck would have it ride height was about right both ends so it was out for a test. First thing I noticed was the steering was lighter. No idea why but it was very noticeable straight away. Ride was a little firmer but damping was much improved. In a bend instead of the back end feeling like it wanted to break away, it now felt like it was digging in.

I'm guessing now that the old shocks (22 years but only 11,000 miles) with rusted springs were well past their best, if not shot completely if a set of newly installed, but not even properly adjusted shocks can feel that much better. Looking forward to getting the 'feel' of them now and dialling them in properly.

And the best of it is I only paid £270 for the new set, from someone who had abandoned a project. Money well spent I reckon. If anyone has any advice on tuning them I'd be very pleased to hear it.

If they are better quality you should notice a difference in feel :)

Did you keep the spring rates the same,as if these are different again it will alter the feel.

• Like 1

To be honest Kev, I can't really say. The units that came off I'm assuming have been on the car since it was built (factory build in 1993) and they were looking so sorry for themselves I'm sure they will have lost damping and some spring performance along the way. Although I have no knowledge about suspension I usually change my bike units for Ohlins and have developed a 'feel' for when it's working properly, and these new ones seem to feel right on the car. Just a better, more planted, less frantic ride if that makes sense. 

Nice to feel a difference!

Bet you didn't price up ohlins for the Westy! !!

What brand were old coilovers, and new ones?

The new ones are just a set of new GazGold, but the old ones are so corroded it's no longer possible to determine a make or model. Had it out for a couple of hours today and went through a few adjustments, adding damping, driving, taking it off, driving etc and now think I've found the setting which suits me in respect of the ride I want against the grip I need. Of course this may need altering again in the future as I will also be replacing the tyres, which have been on since new, with some Toyo Proxe's.

At a guess, I imagine Ohlins for the Westy would be about £650 a corner ? But you're right, I didn't even look !

Do I understand you to say your tyres are 22 years old? If so I'm amazed they hold air, and I certainly wouldn't want to be driving on them! New tyres would transform the feel of the car I should think!

• Like 2

Ohlins would be more than £1k a corner. You could probably get Penske for £650

• Like 1

Mine were 19 years old when I got the car, although I hadn't noticed until..........on my way to my first monthly meet, a guy stepped off the kerb a good distance in front of me. Imagine my (and his) surprise, when on a completely dry road, the wheels simply locked up and the car slid silently across the tarmac!

• Like 1

Do I understand you to say your tyres are 22 years old? If so I'm amazed they hold air, and I certainly wouldn't want to be driving on them! New tyres would transform the feel of the car I should think!

I'm guessing so. The car has covered 11,000 miles in it's life and looking at the tyres, they look about 11,000 miles old in terms of tread wear but they aren't cracked at all. The spare has never been on the ground and still has a sticker on it ! But, they will be going over the winter for some Toyo's and a new set of 7J wheels.