Do you get attached to hobby tools?

John K

A bit of a sad milestone is coming up.

I used to be a really active "Action Shooter" which was basically running about doing courses of fire like you see on the American cops movies with targets popping up etc...

But a few years back both my wife and I picked up a few health issues (amazingly bad coincidence) which meant the toys had to go.

So whilst the bang sticks went away a few years back, my little workroom in the loft where I used to tinker with the toys and make my own bullets has been sat there like a museum piece.

I finally realised there was too many nice little gadgets to waste, so yesterday I sorted out all the good stuff and packaged it up to send to my old mate (hence the myHermes post)

Strange thing is, the hobby had been a big part of my life for 20 years and now there is just a big clear open space in the attic.

And I feel a bit sad...

Any of you guys ever get attached to inanimate objects or am I just a massive big wet girls blouse...? 

Boys toys are made for getting attached to :d

Oh yeah and for keeping well past there sell by date, cos' they may come in handy one day. :laugh:

I miss the Technical Lego that I sold 30 years ago to pay for something long-since forgotten :(

Aah yes Lego, our 44 year old sons Lego had to be resurrected from the loft for our 4 year old grandson to play with. :t-up:

The technical Lego will stay there til' he's a bit older ;)

IMG_1184_zpsrxsi3wgj.jpg

Never mind the eco-friendly modern 'plastics' that disintegrate as soon as you look at them - I reckon Lego lasts forever and will eventually fossilise :)

Oh man... Technical Lego...

I had so much of that stuff and the proper Lego where you had to make stuff and a complete model didn't come in 3 bits that just needed clipping together.

I think it got given to a school when I moved out of the parents house.

And I had Meccano as well. And a chemistry set. And a soldering iron and an old Avo 8

My path to geekdom was set very early on

• Like 1

And if this trip down memory lane was supposed to help me get over my blue funk...

It ain't working, I just feel even more nostalgic now LOL

And nobody get onto the subject of old Tea Cards, I had dozens of fully complete sets back from my Grandad's time (Lyons I think???).

They would be worth a bit now. And bless em, my parents gave them away :down:

Still got some technical Lego stashed away some where in the loft, you never know when it'll come in handy!

Years ago, when I still had a darkroom and was processing my own film etc, I used some of the technical Lego to make a set of automatic rollers to keep the processing drums for my Cibachrome prints turning!

I've still got my Patterson orbital processor Dave, and the rest of my darkroom stuff......in the loft :rolleyes:

My Dad used to process his own B&W prints.

I spent many a happy hour in the loft with him breathing in some probably quite unpleasant fumes.

Let me try to remember the three baths the prints went through (with out googling...)

1, Developer

2, Stopper

3, Fixer

Am I close..?

Sold mine on in the end, but not after they'd spent ten years or so in the loft!

Had the Cibachrome drum for up to 10x12", then a couple of the Patterson drums for film, one for single rolls and another for two at a time.

- Used to use a lot of HP5, pushed to 500 ASA in Microphen - used to give cracking results on motorsport stuff.

Must admit, selling my photographic enlarger was a real wrench; had saved up for one for ages as a teenager and had it for over twenty years!

My Dad used to process his own B&W prints.

I spent many a happy hour in the loft with him breathing in some probably quite unpleasant fumes.

Let me try to remember the three baths the prints went through (with out googling...)

1, Developer

2, Stopper

3, Fixer

Am I close..?

Yup.Then washing and racks or lines of drying prints.

Using infra red film used to be lots of fun - you really didn't know what you had till you got to work in the dark room.

I miss the excitement of seeing an image appear in the developing tray.

• Like 1

You see when photography was an effort, you were careful as to what pictures you took and then like Dave said there was the excitement of seeing it swim into vision in the chemical bath.

And that is why Dad (and later on me) used to take perhaps 72 pics of a whole holiday.

The digital smart phone (and digi pics have their place) generation will have taken 72 pics of the bacon sandwich and pint at the Witherspoons in the airport before they've even got on the plane..!

• Like 1

My Lego box has been used for 50 years by 4 generations  of out family.  Got to be the best bargain toy of all time.  Even bricks from the original kits match up perfectly to the new stuff.

I had a phase when I started to resurrect  previous memories, mid life semi crisis maybe. It was about 15 years ago and I started to re-collect tea and also cigarette cards, they are collectable but of no great value. I have sets which are ones that my old man gave me from his youth when I was a lad so I guess a bit nostalgic. probably part of the ageing process. I haven't bought any for quite a few years now but still have my sets of stuff like old 20/30s cars, locomotives, gardening hints, Brook Bond sets etc etc. Bit anal but interesting historical items for when for example the grandkids want to know what vinyl records ( I actually bought a 45, Telstar by the Tornados my first record purchase and can't play it :( ) where and what it was like in the old days eh 60's onwards. Kids eh.  Pokémon cards will or are the new collectables I guess. Bit like building a Westfield when I wanted a "7" style car as a yoof in the mid 60's £970 complete but couldn't afford it. Got one now though. Haha

Went up the Shard last week, bucket list job, bit pricey but done now.

Bob just a big kid at heart. :d  :d :d  

• Like 1