Insurance tips

wxijohnn

Age is no barrier, 59 and only owned mine since March!

+1 for A plan

oh........and :ww:

We all love pics

• Like 1

Built mine when I was 45.  Still have it and I'm 61 now.  Tried a few insurance companies along the way and Footman James were great when I had to make a claim.  But I've been with A-Plan for a few years now as FJ became much more expensive.  Loads of stuff on here about insurance if you do a search. 

I used to find Footman James good, but I think that they only like to insure factory built cars now. I may be wrong on that, but that was the story doing the rounds on here a year or two ago.

I've used A Plan for 2 or 3 years now, and have no complaints, in fact they insure our tintops now, so 3 vehicles and our house and all risks cover for good measure. It is my experience that they get very competitive quotes.

As an example, it happens that my wife's car comes up for renewal of insurance at the end of this month, and I've just had the renewal papers. fully comp, husband & wife driving, protected no claims discount, the premium is £229. And that is without shopping round. This is on a 2 litre MX5. I doubt I could do any better elsewhere, so needless to say I shall be renewing that next week.

Mines also with a plan but as above they couldn't get

anywhere near the quotes I had on the Audi.

Andy

I've been with a plan for 2 years. Same price both years.

I also recently joined the Westfield owners society. A plan was a great price and they understand modified cars

A plan were good when I had a total loss claim in the Westfield and did offer a excellent service, and have been cheaper than Adrian flux and Frank pickles by quite a lot, always asked them for quotes for the tin top but they have never been close enough for me to say yes. Always worth making a few calls

I'm 45 and Adrian Flux Got mine to £150. A Plan were around £165 so not a million miles away.

Also bear in mind some companies insure it as a classic, with no NCB, and some insure it as a normal car, with NCB. Very important if you have more than one car, which most of us do, OR the other way round, as in my case a while ago, I wanted my NCB "parked" on my westie insurance so I would not lose it as my only other vehicle was a camper that can't use NCB....  so my westie had my NCB and my camper none.

Now I've bought a Disco so I'm starting a new 2nd NCB record. Only cost me £60 more to insure with zero NCB instead of 15 years...

Most of the brokers use just one or two insurers  - A-Plan use LV= Highway (at the moment) so it's worth checking who the actually policy is with when you get a quote. I had quotes from other brokers that were slightly cheaper than A-Plan (which was just less than £95 anyway for a 63 year old) but those other quotes were with insurers I'd never heard of - and that's worth bearing in mind should you be unfortunate enough to need to claim.

The other thing to look out for is the "introductory offer" approach - it may be £10 or £15 cheaper this year but next year you can guarantee it'll go up - again, A-Plan have been consistently good value, my experience with Flux has been the opposite (also look out for "admin charges" should you need to change anything) :( .

I don't think any of these brokers will beat main stream insurers for mass production cars - but then main stream won't touch kit cars (LV= probably come close but even their Highway insurance is a separate division)